Generator Auto Start?

212Pilot

Has anyone installed an auto start on their Onan Generator. I read somewhere that there is an option that will automatically start your generator when the battery level gets down to a point where it needs to be recharged but not so low that the generator won't start.

Dmetcalf

Has anyone installed an auto start on their Onan Generator. I read somewhere that there is an option that will automatically start your generator when the battery level gets down to a point where it needs to be recharged but not so low that the generator won't start.

I haven’t heard of such a device but I’ll be watching this to see if there is such a device available..!!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our friend has told me his MH has that option. Forest River Berkshire
As described to me, if they’re boondocking and the batteries reach a level of discharge the generator starts and runs until the batteries reach an acceptable charge level. Everything in their coach is electric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrgrs50s

A friend of mine has a motorhome with the auto start feature, but I believe it only kicks the gen on in the event of loss of power from the pedestal.

Gaffer

Many motor homes have this feature. You can set it to start the genny at a specific temperature or battery voltage. It is part of the software package that controls lighting, tank levels, HVAC and much more. Not a generator feature. A feature of whole house control.

Last edited:

esscobra

Onan makes a controller that will autostart based on voltage/temp/power - so t keep rvs cool if you have pets etc - does require additional wire harnes run t genset
also some that are tied in with inverter controllers from Victron/xantrex/magnum - been trying to decide which route to go with for larger inverter /solar setup- and these all have a add on gen autostart module

212Pilot

Onan makes a controller that will autostart based on voltage/temp/power - so t keep rvs cool if you have pets etc - does require additional wire harnes run t genset
also some that are tied in with inverter controllers from Victron/xantrex/magnum - been trying to decide which route to go with for larger inverter /solar setup- and these all have a add on gen autostart module

I'm looking at installing the Victron Multiplus that can be programed to start a Genset but it requires a time delay relay or a one touch start system on the generator that I can't find any info on. My Onan 5500 requires the start switch be held down until it starts but will shut of with one press of the button. I was hoping someone had already gone down this road and could provide some insight.

avvidclif

Keep searching, the cheapest I found on a quick look is $276. The interface cable is $178 and I haven't found those cheaper. I'm glad they brought it back. About the time I was going to get one they discontinued them

porthole

Retired
If your plans include a larger inverter and or solar in the future, you have additional options.

For example, with Magnum Energy products the auto gen start is a module that is tied in with Magnum remote control for the inverter, battery monitor, solar etc.

We have it. Can be set to start at specific times, or low battery, high temp (for AC operation). You can also program in quiet hours so it doesn't run in the middle of the night.

212Pilot

If your plans include a larger inverter and or solar in the future, you have additional options.

For example, with Magnum Energy products the auto gen start is a module that is tied in with Magnum remote control for the inverter, battery monitor, solar etc.

We have it. Can be set to start at specific times, or low battery, high temp (for AC operation). You can also program in quiet hours so it doesn't run in the middle of the night.

That is what I'm looking to do. Did you have to have a special timed relay or the Onan Command System Auto Start kit to make it work?

porthole

Retired
That is what I'm looking to do. Did you have to have a special timed relay or the Onan Command System Auto Start kit to make it work?

Niether.

If you go all Magnum the AGS (automatic generator start) is a separate module that you hook up some wires a then use an Ethernet cable to the remote control.

I believe Victron may have the same features