Mods and hacks for NT 24BHS

Team185

Hi all. We just bought a North Trail 24BHS and very excited to dewinterize it and do some camping.

Looking for for any of your ideas and experiences with modifications or hacks. One issue we have is the amount of interior storage. There are some wasted spaces under the sinks and bunks that I’d like to find some ideas.

Looked at some of the earlier threads. Got some good info on TV install, thanks for that!

Team 185
2019 NT 24 BHS
Kingston, ON

danemayer

Hi Team185,

Congratulations on the North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll get some ideas from other North Trail owners on how to maximize space.

I've moved your post into the North Trail subforum area.

RobnTamra

Hi Team185,

We have a 2016 NT 24BHS and did a couple items to customize it for our needs. We're a young family from Wisconsin, with 2 little kids so storage is always needed. We use it pretty often, at least 50 nights per season and includes usually two 7+ night trips.

You're right, there's a good deal of wasted storage under the sink and bunks.
Under the sink we removed a back panel of flimsy paneling. This panel protected(?) some basic heating & plumbing pipework, so we built a simple platform to cover these items which give us a bunch more storage here.
Under the bunks is a big open internal space that'll give you the storage space of about (3) 27 gallon storage bins. Taking a peek was simple, just pull aside the bottom mattress then unscrew that plywood. You'll find some additional heating/plumbing pipes along the floor. We built a simple platform to cover these then boxed in a storage area and finished it with T&G cedar & 12v under cabinet lighting. As an afterthought, it was a big gain for storage, but its a pain to access so we use it for overstock & emergency items we don't need often.

We also replaced the POS short queen mattress with a much better one, from Amazon. This was a nice upgrade but due to the height of the new mattress and the curvature of the front of the camper this resulted in the loss of those silly sliding doors. Not a big loss and worth the investment. BTW, that stock mattress is about $20 worth of foam from Walmart - that's it.

As for the bathroom, we replaced the shower-head with a much nicer unit, and it's so worth it. Same for the stock shower curtain.

The TV was also replaced with a larger smart tv. With this, we add a hard drive packed with movies for the kiddo's.

We've also found that rarely use the dinette so long ago we removed that table and the floor mounts since they just got in the way. Our Spring 2019 project is to remove the dinette altogether and put in a reclining couch.

We're also planning on mounting a light-weight truck box on the pull-out bike rack. I wouldn't put much weight here so the plan is for storing kid toys like swimming noodles, soccer balls, etc.

Happy Camping!
Rob

pedirob

My name is Rob too!
I posted the TV install thread, so I’m glad it helped.
I agree with the other Rob, there is a ton of storage to be had under the bunk. It’s a big project; I haven’t done it yet.
I put paper towel racks over the kitchen and outdoor kitchen sinks.
i added a battery cutoff switch so I don’t drain the battery in storage.
I put self adhesive towel bars and a toilet paper holder in the bathroom.
I installed a central vacuum cleaner under the master bed - will post pics soon.
I put a plug holder on the front jack stem that keeps the 9-pin plug clean and dry.
I built a ladder to the top bunk.
I bought a portable gas grill which I store in the outdoor kitchen.

*Most important tip*: Check your outdoor kitchen sink when you hook up the water. Be sure the faucets are closed and the drain plug is open. It’s easy to forget since it is usually out of view. If the sink overflows it will flood your camper. Don’t ask how I know this... :p

Have fun! Hope you enjoy your new camper!

Team185

Thanks so much for all of this Rob! You definitely have a lot of experience and have done a lot of work. You make a good point about that under bunk storage. Once those beds are made you don’t want to be getting in there.

Im definitely going to try to do something with the bath sink. Did you just create a “nook” in there or put a door in it?

Youve given me a few ideas to work on thanks!

Team185

Thanks Rob#2 as well! I’m doing the TV this wknd. I may not use so many screws though. 😜

Good tip on the outdoor sink. Ouch!

how did you do the ladder? Better than just buying one for $80?

pedirob

I just built a ladder using inexpensive lumber. It was a lot of work but I love working with wood. I’ll grab some pics of the ladder this weekend. Pictures will be worth a thousand words.

Rob #2

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
*Most important tip*: Check your outdoor kitchen sink when you hook up the water. Be sure the faucets are closed and the drain plug is open. It’s easy to forget since it is usually out of view. If the sink overflows it will flood your camper. Don’t ask how I know this... :p

Have fun! Hope you enjoy your new camper!

If you have a microwave in your outside kitchen....make sure you empty the food in it before you close up at the end of your trip. If not, you’ll get a nice surprise on your next trip. Don’t ask me how I know.

pedirob

I just built a ladder using inexpensive lumber. It was a lot of work but I love working with wood. I’ll grab some pics of the ladder this weekend. Pictures will be worth a thousand words.

Rob #2

Here's the ladder I built with about $6 worth of lumber:
(It make accessing the top bunk MUCH easier)
Ladder - 1.jpgLadder - 2.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Here's the ladder I built with about $6 worth of lumber:
(It make accessing the top bunk MUCH easier)
View attachment 61780View attachment 61779

Very nice. Looks good.

Sometimes, I can hardly believe that they do not include a ladder with these trailers. Ours did not come with one either. But our daughter decided she wanted the lower bunk anyways. So we just use the top bunk for storage of her beanbag chair.