Exterior wall crack by front bedroom slide

hauglcf1

Our 2014 Heartland Bighorn Silverado 5th wheel has developed a crack by left bottom bedroom slide. It's most notable when hooked up to the truck.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Should I be worried about the trip we're planning to tour New England this summer?

We've driven less than 9000 miles (tops!) since new, and mostly highway!

Photos and video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ZTevbXuy5s4S2fNA

I called Heartland last week, and they said it may have been caused by the screw (seen in pictures) and that the aluminum underneath may be cracked as well. I was also told that "some" flexing is normal. I get that. I emailed them photos and video, but haven't received any replies. Hopefully I'll hear something soon. I may just call again this week if I don't hear anything.

Our recently installed Reese Gooseneck hitch and MorRyde Independent Suspension has helped our ride tremendously. Hoping that these two "efforts" will keep the 5th Wheel from cracking any further.

UQz6LsZWrJSb8RH59

Last edited:

Dmetcalf

Stress crack is what I experienced with my last fifth wheel (not made by Heartland)..! Some welds broke around the upper slide out.

wdk450

I had a repairer investigate this and they removed the fiberglass for find metal cracks in the aluminum structure under the fiberglass. They attempted to bridge the crack with a thin steel sheet, trying to weld the steel sheet to the aluminum. I was charged $5k, the fix didn't hold, and the fiberglass crack is back. Repairer said that the crack wasn't in the frame, but I no longer trust his "expertise". The rig has pretty much become an "immoble home" in the last 2 years.

See: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw3atuhfb0GMZmEwclVXaUp3VTA

hauglcf1

I'm adding that Heartland received the picture's but they didn't reply. I'll leave it there; I'm sure they don't really care. I drilled a small hole to stop it from cracking further. Will CALL Heartland IF it gets worse, AND update this post.

wdk450

My thought on repairing the crack in the aluminum casting is to use the thin sheet steel piece my repairer tried to weld (steel to aluminum which they had never done before - I had to buy them the special welding tip) in place, but do a THOROUGH prep and bond the steel bridging plate to the aluminum casting with AIRCRAFT GRADE EPOXY which has a 3400 psi shear strength. Most commercial airliners today are put together with this stuff. Guessing that the steel bridging plate has an area of about 20 inches by 20 inches (it is actually "L" shaped), that should give me 400 square inches of adhesion surface, and a theoretical shear strength of 1,360,000 pounds for the bridging plate.

Garypowell

Keep being pleasantly persistent with HL. Had 2 cracks on our 2013 Bighorn. Fixed the frame and the more non-structural crack in a week.

The upper crack returned and we took it back and they removed a large section of siding, welded in a plate since the upper frame was cracked....recoated the rig.

You’d never know anything happened....other than some excellent customer service. Gave me a new fireplace and fixed 3 - 4 other little things.....all at no cost!

mthompson

Keep being pleasantly persistent with HL. Had 2 cracks on our 2013 Bighorn. Fixed the frame and the more non-structural crack in a week.

The upper crack returned and we took it back and they removed a large section of siding, welded in a plate since the upper frame was cracked....recoated the rig.

You’d never know anything happened....other than some excellent customer service. Gave me a new fireplace and fixed 3 - 4 other little things.....all at no cost!

Garypowell, was your Bighorn still in warranty when you got the excellent customer service? Just wondering because I might have a similar problem.