Dometic Single Zone Standard Thermostat Problems

Topper

I purchased a 2018 Heartland Fuel 352 Toy Hauler. It has 2 of the Dometic Single Zone Thermostats.

These things are absolutely horrible and I have no idea why Heartland has installed them in their homes.

Both of them have a hard time seeing the display. You can only see it once you touch it and it lights up. And then you can only see it when you are looking directly in front of it. (I have to get right out of bed in order to work the one in the bedroom, I can reach it, but can't see it).

The covers have foam inserts in them for the contacts. They don't work half the time and if they do, sometimes the temp will just move on its own.
There are times when you put the covers on the display will just do its own thing.

It is so frustrating, that now, I run both my thermostats without the covers. Looks horrible, but thats the only way I can count on them working.

Does anyone know if I can just install my own thermostats? Or is Heartland doing anything about this? I know I posted on a facebook group and many people have had the same issues with these thermostats.

Thanks

berky

I doubt that you could replace the thermostat with anything but another Dometic thermostat. It sounds like the same thermostat I have in my North Trail. That thermostat sends commands to the A/C unit using a proprietary digital signal.

These digital thermostats allow the HVAC manufacturers to build more features into the thermostats and to reduce wiring costs. But the downside is that the consumer suffers when the thermostat fails. I have one of those digital thermostats in my house. The cheap plastic buttons failed after a few years and they wanted $500 to replace the thermostat.

CDN

B and B
Hello,

I just replaced all 3 of my thermostats and one of the replacement ones is already flaky. I concur the foam inserts are the problem. I thinking of modifying one of the defective ones with touch buttons. if you take the cover off and touch the contacts they work fine.

I wonder if Dometic has a replacement unit yet? I hope a Field Bulletin comes out on replacing them.

Brian

Fox

For those with the foam inserts I would suggest you simply remove the foam.
YMMV.

I currently have an unsatisfactory (10 button) Dometic T'stat (no foam); its currently at the dealer for being unresponsive. Note: it's already been previously replaced. The front t'stat is my problem, my rear one seems to work.

However in order to operate them both need to be viewed straight on - requiring gymnastic maneuvers, I'm unhappy with them.

emery395

Our 2017 cyclone had the bedroom thermostat attached to the side of bedside cabinet. To read the display I had to practically get onto the bed.
There was enough space and extra wire to relocate it for easier viewing. Photo covers previous location
DCD9148D-31C0-4C75-A597-5143514C3D3E.jpg

Attachments

• B96C448C-2F7F-4ED1-BBCE-CDC8E041F5E8.jpg
    B96C448C-2F7F-4ED1-BBCE-CDC8E041F5E8.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 49
  • D4C003A5-269C-4E1D-814A-86BB5DB47190.jpg
    D4C003A5-269C-4E1D-814A-86BB5DB47190.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 44

Fox

I have these in my 2018 Traveler and have had no problem with them. what foam are we speaking of?

GOING BY MEMORY - Some dometic tstats (not mine) use a piece of foam between the actual external button you push and the physical internal switch; it's visible when you remove the faceplate. Over time the foam looses its pliability and jams things up.

FYI: this is similar to the Dometic Tstat I have (x2):
https://www.forestriverinc.com/brochures/0000/0000ThermostatDualDometicManual.pdf

Dmetcalf

I contacted Dometic and informed them that two of tge three thermostats have this problem and they happily are shipping me two new ones free of charge. Hopefully the newer ones work better..!

Chrisandsama

GOING BY MEMORY - Some dometic tstats (not mine) use a piece of foam between the actual external button you push and the physical internal switch; it's visible when you remove the faceplate. Over time the foam looses its pliability and jams things up.

FYI: this is similar to the Dometic Tstat I have (x2):
https://www.forestriverinc.com/brochures/0000/0000ThermostatDualDometicManual.pdf

I found it! Tstat in bedroom messed up tonight and I just removed the face for now.

RnARiden

I see many are having the same problem I’m having...I have a 2020 HBH Traveler 32RS and the same Dometic single zone thermostats are in my bedroom and living room. Since this is such an ongoing problem, does anyone know if Heartland has gotten Dometic to make an upgraded one I can push the dealer to change to...since I’m w/in my 90 days, it SHOULD NOT be a problem to get them to change if Heartland has admitted the problem and there is a replacement available.

danemayer

I see many are having the same problem I’m having...I have a 2020 HBH Traveler 32RS and the same Dometic single zone thermostats are in my bedroom and living room. Since this is such an ongoing problem, does anyone know if Heartland has gotten Dometic to make an upgraded one I can push the dealer to change to...since I’m w/in my 90 days, it SHOULD NOT be a problem to get them to change if Heartland has admitted the problem and there is a replacement available.

Not every thermostat has a problem, and across the RV industry, only Dometic knows what percentage do have a problem. Sure, Heartland, if they saw a pervasive problem, would contact Dometic. And MAYBE Dometic would make a change. But since we haven't heard anything like that, I'd assume it isn't happening.

Instead of a roundabout route, why don't you call Dometic and ask for a replacement. It might take 5 minutes to replace it. If you don't want to deal with Dometic, you could call Heartland to get one.

Or if you prefer to haul your trailer to the dealer, drop it off, wait weeks or months, and then pick it up, you could have the dealer take care of it for you.

Matt750

Not every thermostat has a problem, and across the RV industry, only Dometic knows what percentage do have a problem. Sure, Heartland, if they saw a pervasive problem, would contact Dometic. And MAYBE Dometic would make a change. But since we haven't heard anything like that, I'd assume it isn't happening.

Instead of a roundabout route, why don't you call Dometic and ask for a replacement. It might take 5 minutes to replace it. If you don't want to deal with Dometic, you could call Heartland to get one.

Or if you prefer to haul your trailer to the dealer, drop it off, wait weeks or months, and then pick it up, you could have the dealer take care of it for you.

I would do as Dan suggests and call Dometic. They sent me 3 new ones. Also, FYI, they do make a Bluetooth version thermostat. Use an app on your phone & you rarely have to touch the thermostat. It’s been working for me and it’s nice to be able to adjust the temperature from in bed, on the couch, or pulling up to the camp ground, plugging in power and then firing up my air conditioners before opening up the RV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk