Screen door.

NP_Chief

Welcome to the forum. I have found that eBay or Amazon offers just about anything you need at a good price.

farupp

We have a 2018 Heartland North Trail 24BHS, and would like to modify the screen entry door to open completely against the side of the trailer, and stay there.

How might we do this?

Thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It’s odd that it doesn’t. Most RV screen doors I’ve seen are connected to the outer door with a latch device. To close the screen door with the outer open requires releasing the latch. Is your latch missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farupp

John, I didn't phrase the question correctly. Mine does latch to the outer door, but the screen door only opens half-way when unlatched from the outer door. It is limited as to how far it opens unless the hydraulic cylinder at its base is disconnected, which is what we do now. Is that the only way for the screen door to open fully?

danemayer

John, I didn't phrase the question correctly. Mine does latch to the outer door, but the screen door only opens half-way when unlatched from the outer door. It is limited as to how far it opens unless the hydraulic cylinder at its base is disconnected, which is what we do now. Is that the only way for the screen door to open fully?

Before disconnecting the door's hydraulic cylinder, take a look to see if opening it would interfere with awnings or other things. That may be why it's the way it is.

NP_Chief

On our Torque, the garage door is on a hydraulic cylinder and only opens halfway. If the door was to open fully, it would block the exhaust for the refrigerator. Might be the case with your Northtrail.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ah so! Didn’t know it had a hydraulic cylinder on it. My old rig ain’t that fancy

What you might do is replace the fastener at one end with a pin so you could easily take the cylinder out of play when you need to open the door wider and connect it to the outer door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We have a 2018 Heartland North Trail 24BHS, and would like to modify the screen entry door to open completely against the side of the trailer, and stay there.

How might we do this?

Thanks.

Looking at a photo of a 2018 North Trail 24 BHS there is a good chance that if the door is fully open back that the awning will interfere with the door. The issue will most likely be near the upper corner of the awning where the power roller portion comes back to the wall when retracted.
The 2nd possibility is it could be very close and that the latch would be able to scrape the awning arm.

I did not measure this just eyeballed.

I know its an issue on my north trail.

farupp

The next time I am at the trailer I will look at whether opening the outer door and the attached screen door completely would interfere with the awning or some other component. If not, can the outer door be modified with a latch added to the side of the trailer to hold them open completely instead of only open "half-way."