Best way to increase fuel capacity

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the RDS 40 gallon tank/toolbox best investment I have made. Its been flawless for the last 13 years.

2TrakR

Replace the existing 32 gallon tank with an aftermarket 50 OR install a 40 gallon in-bed tank? Thanks in advance for everyone’s input and reason why....

Replaced stock tank with aftermarket 50 gallon tank when our 2016 F350 was new. Was nice to work on something that was still clean underneath.
Very happy with it. Did have to pay dealer to make changes to the DTE (Distance to Empty) calculation so it would more accurately show our remaining miles on the tank.

It is VERY nice to tow 300+ miles without needing refueling stops; also great to run all week on a tank.

I considered a tank in the box instead, but knew if it was a pain to fill/use, that I would not use it or be happy. Truck has bed cover, so there's reason 1 and it's usually half full of stuff, so there's reason 2, that would preclude an in-bed tank.

Plan to do the same on the next one.

avvidclif

Replaced stock tank with aftermarket 50 gallon tank when our 2016 F350 was new. Was nice to work on something that was still clean underneath.
Very happy with it. Did have to pay dealer to make changes to the DTE (Distance to Empty) calculation so it would more accurately show our remaining miles on the tank.

It is VERY nice to tow 300+ miles without needing refueling stops; also great to run all week on a tank.

I considered a tank in the box instead, but knew if it was a pain to fill/use, that I would not use it or be happy. Truck has bed cover, so there's reason 1 and it's usually half full of stuff, so there's reason 2, that would preclude an in-bed tank.

Plan to do the same on the next one.

I'm too cheap to pay 12-1400 dollars to gain 15 gal when $550 will get me 40. Plus it moves with me.

pegmikef

We have a Transferflo fifty gallon tank/toolbox combo installed in the bed. This is the second truck we have used it in.

Eric1234

Hi

we we have a transfer flow auxiliary 75 gallon tank in the bed of our truck, I am still working so I put the hammer down as well and get where we are going. My wife and I like the flexibility it offers us to fill up when and where we want. For example we were going through Las Angeles at 11 PM and I did not have to think about where to fill up just, kept the hammer down. Or we’ve been in the middle of nowhere Arizona or Nevada, sure was a nice feeling knowing I had plenty of fuel on board.

Have be a good day

Eric

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
We have a 90 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, gravity fed. It is one of the best things I have done to the truck. Your not tied to the closest gas station. You now have options. We have a 1700 mile range so I just fill up before we leave and not worry about it.

rwdennis

extra fuel is a big plus for me , im in california where fuel is crazy high , i like to fuel up in az where its at least a buck a gallon cheaper , i can make it home and back to az to fuel up again , save a good amount of money , have a 32 gallon gravity feed tank in the bed , with my 14 3500 dodge duely i have around a 600 mile range towing my 35 ft bumper pull .the only regret is that i didnt get a bigger tank , a 60 has the same footprint just taller .

I had a 50 gallon transfer in the bed on my '15 Ram and have now transferred this tank into the new '18 Ram. I put a solenoid with a switch on the first truck so I could turn off/on while driving if needed, but this new one I just did a straight gravity feed hose. We still stop for breaks but can purchase diesel at my price and location since I have 82 gallons. We use Kroger points throughout the summer to get that precious $1 per gallon off.

At 7 pounds per gallon I will carry an extra 350 pounds plus the weigh of the tank (40 lbs.) so I have no concerns on this. The tank is also low profile so I can keep my tonneau cover over it when I am not towing so no one sees it.

View attachment 61428View attachment 61429

Im planning to add a tank to my 17 Ram 3500. May seem like a dumb question but with the gravity feed on you ram, do you have to worry about the gravity feed tank forcing fuel out of the main tank filler neck when both tanks are full?

Also, how does this affect your fuel gauge & miles to empty gauge?
Thanks

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Im planning to add a tank to my 17 Ram 3500. May seem like a dumb question but with the gravity feed on you ram, do you have to worry about the gravity feed tank forcing fuel out of the main tank filler neck when both tanks are full?

Also, how does this affect your fuel gauge & miles to empty gauge?
Thanks

We have a 16 Ram 3500. The gravity flow accessory kit comes with a T valve to use. (Maybe it’s a ball valve??) You tap into the filler neck. When installed properly, as the fuel fills up to the valve in the filler neck, it closes the valve and will not allow the auxiliary tank to fill it anymore. It has been working great for the last 2 years on this truck and 3 years on the prior truck.

This is similar to the kit are used
RDS 011408 13-14 Dodge Gravity Flow Fuel Kit 1.75 In https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N759TGO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fAQ0CbVSRV4DZ

Our fuel gauge in the truck shows “Full” the entire time while using the auxiliary tank. When you see the gauge start to move off the full mark, you know your aux tank is empty.