Goshen IN to Custer S.D.

CoveredWagon

We’ll be traveling to Custer S.D. after the national rally. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of places to stop along the way. We’d like to keep daily trip to under 400 miles a day.

😁

NYSUPstater

This may not help, but 2 places that come to mind are John Deere HQ in Moline IL and Cabelas in Sidney(?) Nebraska. Want to say that the Cabela's is more/less SE of Custer and is their original store. Could be dead wrong here, but think back in '99 it was. Holy smokes! As I just typed that, it dawned on me that it was 20 years ago we were there. Man am I getting old ! Guess it's time for another road trip!

Sniper

We usually stop at Belvidere East/Exit 170 KOA https://koa.com/campgrounds/belvidere/ on our way to Custer. Easy off/on I-90, nice level sites, great owners (1880's Town down the road that's pretty neat if you're interested) then it's about 3 hours on to Custer in the morning. (roughly 150 miles or so). Love Custer, we're heading there again this year ourselves staying at Fort Welikit Family Campground https://www.blackhillsrv.com/

Safe travels :)

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you like a more leisurely trip take I380 north to US 20 across Iowa. It is an improved 4 lane highway all the way to Sioux City. And for that matter US 20 across Nebraska is a comfortable leisurely ride.
We’ve stayed along US20 at Grundy county lake a municipal park W/E $15. It’s just west of Waterloo
If you do go north across on I90 stop at Mitchell SD’s Corn Palace. Was also a Cabelas there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjr6150

This may not help, but 2 places that come to mind are John Deere HQ in Moline IL and Cabelas in Sidney(?) Nebraska. Want to say that the Cabela's is more/less SE of Custer and is their original store. Could be dead wrong here, but think back in '99 it was. Holy smokes! As I just typed that, it dawned on me that it was 20 years ago we were there. Man am I getting old ! Guess it's time for another road trip!

Cabela’s in Sidney is about 4.5 hours south of Custer. They also have a FHU campground beside the store.

SLO

We stopped at a Harvest Host spot last year. Round Lake Vineyards in Minnesota. Few miles south of 90 and east of Sioux Falls SD. Beautiful spot on a lake, very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kbvols

The Mitchell Corn palace is good place to see. Mitchell is nice little town. The Mitchell KOA is a nice overnighter. The Wall Drug store in Wall, SD is tourist trap that you have to stop at. We overnighted in Wall at the Arrow campground an easy walk to the Wall drug and downtown Wall. Wall is also good base to take the loop thru the Badlands which I recommend. Hope you have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2PawsRiver

If it is along your way the Maquoketa Caves State Park in Iowa was a real quiet park. Electricity, no water or septic, 11 dollars a night and some great hikes and scenery......well worth the stop.......also along the way is Starved Rock State Park in Illinois.....it was quiet when we were there, but has the potential to be pretty busy. It also had some great hikes and beautiful scenery. Camp was nice.....electricity only, 25 dollars a night.

I80 Truck stop was worth the stop........largest truck stop in the world.

We stayed at the KOA in Sioux City SD......nice people, small sites, dirty.....not impressed.....45 dollars a night.

Have a safe trip.