How to find leak source

txtinman

We found a leak over the front door of our 5'ver. We first noticed it during a rainstorm with the awning out. Last night's rain brought more leaks, this time the awning was in. I've checked above the door and on the roof. I could find no cracks in the roof or any of the sealant. We've had the rig since October and this is the first time for this leak. I'm looking for suggestions to find the source of the leak. Any help will be appreciated.

david-steph2018

We have a leak above the door as well. It is from the rain gutter area on it. When they installed the rain gutter it is not a solid piece but they tried to butt 2 ends together. Did not work out as they had planned. I need to caulk and seal it. It does not leak inside it is just a PITA because you can hear it dripping and the water will run down there.

LBR

We found a leak over the front door of our 5'ver. We first noticed it during a rainstorm with the awning out. Last night's rain brought more leaks, this time the awning was in. I've checked above the door and on the roof. I could find no cracks in the roof or any of the sealant. We've had the rig since October and this is the first time for this leak. I'm looking for suggestions to find the source of the leak. Any help will be appreciated.
Would help to know if the leak is inside or outside of coach. If outside could definitely be the abutting rain gutter pieces....ours has done it too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You might check the strip that mounts the awning to the wall for any gaps in the caulk, missing fasteners or loose spots.

txtinman

Do you have a light above the door (porch light)?
I do. I looked it over and could not find any breaks in the sealant.

- - - Updated - - -

You might check the strip that mounts the awning to the wall for any gaps in the caulk, missing fasteners or loose spots.
I'll check that today. I didn't think about awning mounts.

- - - Updated - - -

Would help to know if the leak is inside or outside of coach. If outside could definitely be the abutting rain gutter pieces....ours has done it too.
Inside leak.

mlpeloquin

Sniper is correct in the need to remove the light above the door and reseal. It may looked sealed, but it still could be the source. Make sure the bottom of the light is not sealed so water can run out if it manages to get in. Put sealant in the mounting holes as well. Anything above that door could be the source including the trim around the top of the door. Remember that water can run funny under things and end up quite a distance from the source.