trailer improvement

kblasdel

We have just purchased a 2008 Sundance 3200ES. One drawback I see in our new camper is that there is no place close to the bed to put a book if you read in bed and don't want to get out of bed to put your book on the dresser. I was thinking of adding a shelf above the bed. Any ideas on how to do that or what kind of shelf would be the best? ThanksNone

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
We have just purchased a 2008 Sundance 3200ES. One drawback I see in our new camper is that there is no place close to the bed to put a book if you read in bed and don't want to get out of bed to put your book on the dresser. I was thinking of adding a shelf above the bed. Any ideas on how to do that or what kind of shelf would be the best? ThanksNone

Oh Lord, ya done it now...clear your inbox cause you are gonna need the room.

kblasdel

Is that a bad thing? I take it Heartland owners are eager to help with advise. I'm sure I will be on the forum frequently asking others what they have done in similar situations. We had a small travel trailer but really had no options to do improvements. This camper will be much more fun the "play with". Thanks for the warning:)

jnbhobe

Talk to TRAVELER07 He has done all kinds of neat stuff to his Sundance.
He's on here all the time or PM him he will be glad to tell you about them.
Have fun with your new Sundance;);) JON

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Karen, I'm not familiar with the headboard in the Sundance but if there's room overhead, a small shelf would probably do just fine. Just remember the wall material is only about 1/4" thick so you'll need wall anchors and remember to keep it lightweight.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Looking at the photo gallery for your 3200ES, you don't have too many options on where to put a shelf, other than the outer wall of the slide. The standard plastic wall anchors will not hold well in the thin wall board material (used them for a towel rack in previous trailer, required constant retightening). The molly type (the ones that have spring loaded "wings") won't be able to open properly in the styrofoam insulation panel in the wall. You might consider using a small plastic magazine holder and velcro tape to secure it to the wall. We used heavy duty velcro in the old trailer for a lot of picture frame hanging.

Depending on your woodworking skills, you might be able to open up that wood panel at the end of the front closet and put some shelving behind it, trimming the face to cover the cuts.

Rather than mounting a shelf, you could also consider a pouch that hangs along the side of the bed, just below the mattress. My wife likes to read in bed at home and has one that has a flap that goes between the mattress and box spring to keep it in place. She puts her paperback book, glasses and TV remote in there and it stays put. If you can't find one, you could probably make one yourself.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
kblasdel, check out Traveler07's post dated 9-4-08 //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=5735. This may be just what you are looking for.
Peace
Dave

Jim & Harriet

RV Improvements

You are not the only one who would like to have a small bedside shelf. None
The Sundance is as close to having 100% of everything we wanted in a 5th wheel - but no bookshelf. While searching for a new RV we did see a "Monte Vista." Check out their website and look at the photo of their bedroom slide. They have small shelves that "wrap around" the slide wall on each side of the bed (hard to picture i know). We are going to try to add something similar.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Is that a bad thing? I take it Heartland owners are eager to help with advise. I'm sure I will be on the forum frequently asking others what they have done in similar situations. We had a small travel trailer but really had no options to do improvements. This camper will be much more fun the "play with". Thanks for the warning:)

There are some pretty smart people hanging around the forums..and a couple have their own woodshop...or can whittle out a set of kitchen cabinets with a pocket knife.

Hang around the experts will be with you shortly.