Frustrated at my leaf spring issues

Dennyha

First, let me start off by saying that I don’t believe I have a weight issue. At the national rally, we weighed our toyhauler with a golf cart loaded, 80 gallons of water, 30 gallons of gas, a full camping setup, and we were over on one tire by about 200 pounds. Every other time I’ve pulled onto a Cat scale, with a more reasonable load, representative of how we camp, I have been under on both axles, as well as in the truck.

Now, my issue. I’ve broken down 4 times with leaf spring issues. The first time, the top leaf on a leaf spring fractured at the point it lost support from the leaf below it, about 1-2 inches from the bolt. We had the leaf spring , along with its partner on the other end of the rear axle. replaced. The second time, the nut came off of the bolt, from the back of the same leaf spring that was replaced. We got a mobile mechanic to get us fixed up and back on the road. Next, the other rear leaf, on the other side of the camper, fractured where it lost support from he leaf below it, just like the first time. This time, we limped into a trailer and spring repair shop. They ordered 4 new Dexter springs, and added a 6th leaf, just below the top leaf, and extended just past the bolt positions so that the top leaf would be supported along its full length. I thought I was in good shape. Last week, we pulled into a rest stop, and when I inspected the springs, I saw the one of the rear springs was separating. Turns out the center bolt failed, and the leafs came apart. Mobile mechanic to the rescue, replacing the rear spring with a different 6 leaf spring. I’m considering an IS upgrade. I just want this problem to go away. Will an IS upgrade do that?

wdk450

First, let me start off by saying that I don’t believe I have a weight issue. At the national rally, we weighed our toyhauler with a golf cart loaded, 80 gallons of water, 30 gallons of gas, a full camping setup, and we were over on one tire by about 200 pounds. Every other time I’ve pulled onto a Cat scale, with a more reasonable load, representative of how we camp, I have been under on both axles, as well as in the truck.

Now, my issue. I’ve broken down 4 times with leaf spring issues. The first time, the top leaf on a leaf spring fractured at the point it lost support from the leaf below it, about 1-2 inches from the bolt. We had the leaf replaced. The second time, the nut came off of the bolt, from the back of the same leaf that was replaced. We got a mobile mechanic to get us fixed up and back on the road. Next, the other rear leaf, on the other side of the camper, fractured where it lost support from he leaf below it, just like the first time. This time, we limped into a trailer and spring repair shop. They ordered 4 new Dexter springs, and added a 6th leaf, just below the top leaf, and extended just past the bolt positions so that the top leaf would supported along its full length. I thought I was in good shape. Last week, we pulled into a rest stop, and when I inspected the springs, I saw the one of the rear springs was separating. Turns out the center bolt failed, and the leafs came apart. Mobile mechanic to the rescue, replacing the rear spring with a different 6 leaf spring. I’m considering an IS upgrade. I just want this problem to go away. Will an IS upgrade do that?

YES. MorRyde Independent Suspension gets rid of leaf springs, bushings, spring bolts, and equalizers. Great service and support , although it pretty much has to be done at their facility in Elkhart, Indiana. They usually have a great discount in conjunction with the Heartland National rally. Be sure to get disk brakes done when you get the IS done. Then you will improve ride, reliability and safety. They rebuild your rear chassis with tubular steel crossbeams to make a solid box at the axles. This eliminates I beams twisting problems.
http://www.morryde.com/products/87-...-system?return=/product-category/4-suspension

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have had all of the same issues. IS or thire new air ride is being installed next month. All I have to do is make it the 2500 miles to get there. I now carry a spare spring and spare wet bolts to do my own road side repairs. I have broken all 4 factory springs now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Does the IS upgrade raise the camper height?

It can. It’s up to you. Advise them that you want to retain stock height, lower it or raise it. They will build a suitable sub-frame to hit your height goal.

With no owner input, generally, they shoot for OEM height. They weigh and measure before they begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMP

Does the IS upgrade raise the camper height?

Before I upgraded, I heard the IS upgrade would raise the rear height of my Landmark. However, my IS installation did not raise my Landmark's height. I was 13.3 going in, and 13.3 coming out. Hope this helps.

jimpav

IMHO.....it's sad that after paying thousands of your hard earned dollars, that you have to spend thousands more just to make your trailer comfortable and safe for future travels. Same goes for replacing the stock "china bombs". This is just one of the reasons I decided on a lower line new Heartland because I had to budget about 4K for disc brakes, HD shackles/wet bolts, X factor cross brace, and new Sailun "G" rated tires. Thankfully, it came with a CRE 3000 standard. The IS suspension upgrade, although a worthy upgrade, was simply too much $$$.
If the OEM would put all these "upgrades" on from the factory, I know the MSRP would be much higher, but then you could at least "negotiate" with selling dealer.

danemayer

IMHO.....it's sad that after paying thousands of your hard earned dollars, that you have to spend thousands more just to make your trailer comfortable and safe for future travels. Same goes for replacing the stock "china bombs". This is just one of the reasons I decided on a lower line new Heartland because I had to budget about 4K for disc brakes, HD shackles/wet bolts, X factor cross brace, and new Sailun "G" rated tires. Thankfully, it came with a CRE 3000 standard. The IS suspension upgrade, although a worthy upgrade, was simply too much $$$.
If the OEM would put all these "upgrades" on from the factory, I know the MSRP would be much higher, but then you could at least "negotiate" with selling dealer.
Jim,

The manufacturer of the device takes their cost and adds their markup and sets a price. The trailer manufacturer takes that marked up cost and adds their own markup to get to a trailer wholesale price. The dealer takes the higher wholesale cost and adds their markup. You have 3 parties taking profit for each of those items.

If you buy the device in the aftermarket, as you did, you're eliminating at least one of the parties taking profit. Why would you think you'd pay less by having the trailer manufacturer build it in?

jimpav

Jim,

The manufacturer of the device takes their cost and adds their markup and sets a price. The trailer manufacturer takes that marked up cost and adds their own markup to get to a trailer wholesale price. The dealer takes the higher wholesale cost and adds their markup. You have 3 parties taking profit for each of those items.

If you buy the device in the aftermarket, as you did, you're eliminating at least one of the parties taking profit. Why would you think you'd pay less by having the trailer manufacturer build it in?

Because you have never met a negotiator like me just ask my car dealer last January when he almost gave me a brand new car

SNOKING

Jim,

Why would you think you'd pay less by having the trailer manufacturer build it in?

Volume!

Build a smart phone piece by piece and it would cost you a couple/three grand. Build several million(maybe 100's of millions) and see what the cost is.

There is another torsion suspension now.

https://www.pjtrailers.com/options/torsion-axles/

When Lippert comes aboard, trailer frames would be able to come OEM with independent torison style suspension.

Leaf springs are so old school!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chris

wdk450

"When Lippert comes aboard, trailer frames would be able to come OEM with independent torison style suspension. "

Like Airstream trailers have been since the 1950's???

Leaf springs are so old school!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Like '50s technology roof caulk that is only warrantied for 90 days??? (Instead of Eternabond RV roof tape warrantied for 15 years)