Starting another season

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Made it up to the campground in Indian River, MI, yesterday to set up the rig for another summer. Moved it from in front of the Maintenance garage to our site and got all hooked up and flushed out (dewinterized). Everything seems to be working well except for the large cargo door on the passenger side. Hard to open and close. That side got blasted with sand from the hill next to where it was parked, so much so that I had to wash it. The hinge for the door sounded like it was full of sand once I did get it open and it would not open fully without effort. Even after washing and flushing out the hinge, it was hard to open and close. Heading back next week and I may remove the entire door/frame and see what's with it. It's one that I replaced a couple of seasons ago. It was OK at the end of last summer, when I parked it, so I don't think frame twist is the issue.

On other notes, we still have the original mattress but I put a TempurPedic pad on it yesterday. Very nice! We had a cheap foam pad on it, but this is way better. Will be replacing the propane Auto Change regulator and lines, too.

JohnDar

Thanks, Jim! Got a few other projects on tap, like replacing some of the window screens, applying a fresh coat of MouseFree, installing the propane tank monitors, and maybe using some Zep floor polish on the caps to get some shine back. Then there’s some vinyl window glaze trim to replace and slide toppers to adjust. Always something to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Hey John remember that the warranty has expired on them doors !!!

I know where you live!

They have been fine since I installed them. Not sure what happened over the winter in storage unless there was some water/freeze action. Did notice one of the lines of caulk I applied had shifted a little from an edge of the inner panel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just putting the Prowler away for the season down here in the desert southwest.

Getting too hot to camp... :cool:

sengli

With all the rain so far this spring, its tough to even think about going camping. And even if you can get out, the campground sites around here are swamps, of mud. One inch off the pads and you are sunk up to the axles.

JohnDar

Fortunately, the CG is mostly hard sand and drains off pretty fast. Unlike the golf course I play near our house that needs pontoons on the carts...on the cart paths! Swamp golf without the gators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Got the cargo door to function like it should. Had to remove the door from the frame and then the frame from the wall. Modified the roughed out opening a bit to better fit the frame and remounted it. Then lubed the door hinge and reinstalled it. There was a bit of sag along the top of the frame (these are not the original doors) from when I first installed it due to the shape of the opening. Due to tugging on the door handle, it started to pull through the panel, so I cut a length of 1/16" aluminum flat stock to reinforce the lock mount on the inside of the panel. Used a hole saw on my drill to make a hole for the lock cylinder to pass through. The barrel was just long enough to stick through far enough to put one locking nut on it. All's good now.

I did learn that Dicor Non-Leveling caulk isn't really compatible with a battery-powered caulk gun. Made a mess but got it cleaned up. Should have gotten a better caulk for the job.

Last edited: