Just Wondering

Chippendale

I have been receiving the Publisher's Clearing House contest offers for years and they use to want you to purchase magazines, so I figured that was how they made their money. Now I am always receiving an offer of something like $25,000 a month for life, but there is nothing said about purchasing anything. I have not responded in years and wonder why they continue to send me offers. Does anyone know what their gimmick is? They have to be making money somehow and the only thing I can figure is that they are selling address information as they don't appear to be selling magazines any longer. My guess is, if you respond then they know they have your current address and they put it on the list to be sold.

Since they say the odds of winning are something like 1 in 6,200,000,000 I don't think I am going to send it in and find out how many mailing lists they put me on. All that being said, back in the late 60's I sent in my "lucky number" to a Phillips 66 national contest and won a large Magnavox console color television set that we used for years. So I know some contests are legitimate, just not sure of this one. Does anyone know anybody who has ever won anything from Publisher's Clearing House?

"Hi-Viz" Bill

I have been receiving the Publisher's Clearing House contest offers for years and they use to want you to purchase magazines, so I figured that was how they made their money. Now I am always receiving an offer of something like $25,000 a month for life, but there is nothing said about purchasing anything. I have not responded in years and wonder why they continue to send me offers. Does anyone know what their gimmick is? They have to be making money somehow and the only thing I can figure is that they are selling address information as they don't appear to be selling magazines any longer. My guess is, if you respond then they know they have your current address and they put it on the list to be sold.

Since they say the odds of winning are something like 1 in 6,200,000,000 I don't think I am going to send it in and find out how many mailing lists they put me on. All that being said, back in the late 60's I sent in my "lucky number" to a Phillips 66 national contest and won a large Magnavox console color television set that we used for years. So I know some contests are legitimate, just not sure of this one. Does anyone know anybody who has ever won anything from Publisher's Clearing House?

It's VERY reassuring, knowing, that there are others "out there' that wonder some of the same things I've thought about for years !! Following !!! :eek::eek::eek:

jerryjay11

I've been playing their game for years now and haven't received any more junk mail from anywhere that I could say developed from them. At least the volume of junk mail hasn't increased and what I do get is easily transformed into tiny shreds of paper. I also don't purchase anything. It isn't required. They still sell magazines and other products, but I don't read the magazines I get from organizations I have joined now and the products they offer are junk. So best I can tell they don't sell your name as they claim they don't. They just play on the weary of folks who think purchasing will help their odds, as well as those folks who are addicted to shopping.