Is it harmful to consume Liquid Nitrogen?

lincy

Hi..We all knew that Liquid nitrogen is mostly used to preserve the food. I have a question that is it harmful to humans that consuming liquid Nitrogen?

TedS

Liquid nitrogen would freeze everything in your mouth before you could swallow it.
Gaseous nitrogen will not hurt you. The air you breath is 78% nitrogen.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Liquid nitrogen is a super refrigerant. It is used to flash-freeze many items.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I’ve eaten some Thai food that I wished there was a glass of liquid nitrogen around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Comsuming nitrogen in the liquid state will cause you great harm before you can even swallow your first sip. You inhale and exhale gaseous nitrogen about 20 times per minute your entire life without harm. For your body to actually absorb nitrogen, it has to be bonded with other elements, like a nitrate salt or amine. By the time you can eat something frozen with LN2, it’s already evaporated away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

Okay, first of all it's food grade nitrogen and all it does is freeze food particles. No impurities to affect human consumption. Second since it begins to boil at minus 320 degrees it has all dissipated by the time the food is served. So you are not actually consuming nitrogen. Only the food that was processed with it.

Like Johndar said.