LED light can damage eyes, health authority warns

B

BouseBill

https://news.yahoo.com/led-light-damage-eyes-health-authority-warns-002221659.html

Interesting read on LED and eye damage, being full-timers in our BigHorn is this something "we" as a community should be worried about. It's great that LED uses less energy, but at what "cost" to our eye health?

"
The report distinguished between acute exposure of high-intensity LED light, and "chronic exposure" to lower intensity sources.
While less dangerous, even chronic exposure can "accelerate the ageing of retinal tissue, contributing to a decline in visual acuity and certain degenerative diseases such as age-related macular degeneration," the agency concluded."

NP_Chief

"New findings confirm earlier concerns that "exposure to an intense and powerful [LED] light is 'photo-toxic' and can lead to irreversible loss of retinal cells and diminished sharpness of vision," the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety (ANSES) warned in a statement."

I don't know that I would qualify the LED's in/on my rig as "intense and powerful."

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I wouldn't trust anything that yahoo "not so much news" reports on. The world still cannot decide if eggs are good or bad for you, how much wine extends your life span or decreases it, or how much sugar is bad for you. Since aspirin affects everyone differently, how about we just say LED's may harm some people, but not enough to try and scare the entire population.

B

BouseBill

Well.....YAHOO didn't write the report to begin with, and it's not just "bright" light that can cause prolems. Do a search and you'll find other sources....or NOT it's your eyes.:rolleyes:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And here I was taught that choking the chicken would make you blind (or at least need glasses).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

"The report distinguished between acute exposure of high-intensity LED light, and "chronic exposure" to lower intensity sources.

While less dangerous, even chronic exposure can "accelerate the ageing of retinal tissue, contributing to a decline in visual acuity and certain degenerative diseases such as age-related macular degeneration," the agency concluded."

John you can choke your chicken but do it in the dark :D:D:D

mlpeloquin

So I read a few stories about LED light. Looks like blue and UV filters in front of the led lights would solve the problem.

'Lil Guy'

LEDs or melted lens that get extra hot. I'll stick with my LED lights in my rig. I may start wearing sunglasses in the Lil Guy but I'm not going back to the standard lighting that came in it. I wonder if they are talking about staring at the light 24 7.

danemayer

Europe has a long history of reports like this leading to new ISO standards that require a certain type of product to solve the problem. And conveniently, some company in Europe usually has a solution ready to go.