EZ Snap shades

Garypowell

If you are using EZ Snap shades can you tell me how they are working for you? Good value, do they really cut down on the heat inside your rig, etc.

I have a 2013 Rig and my windows protrude out from the surface that the studs would attach to so it seems to me the mesh would simply lay on top of the glass. If your install is like that do you still get the effect of a cooler inside.

I am also curious if any one has simply bought the studs and used "sun blocker" type vinyl screening from Lowe's or Home Depot. This would be a lot less expensive than their mesh.

Thanks for your help.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
After a lot of research, we bought SunTex product and first made a template, then cut to fit the window shapes. I used 3M Velcro Command Strips to attach it to the windows, just to see if it would work.

We found it does cut the heat transfer though the windows. I plan to make more this summer.

(It looks darker in the photos than it does in person.)

dd4341c27dab8e66117ce310460a951a.jpg

a4dc39d915ffa3ead4884290d73b0a44.jpg

30fa88d37bfdc5e6f374250538b1f402.jpg

Phifer 3021801 SunTex 80, 60" x... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026T19QM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Thanks Erika! I have just ordered the screen in black.

But I have the same question about if the Velcro (or whatever you are using is holding OK)? I have a ton of Velcro but was going to buy the snap fitting from EZ Snap as they seem perfect. But Perfect comes at a price.

TravelTiger

Are you going to leave the 3M velcro on them or do you have another idea to attach them?

The 3M Command Strip Velcro worked ok, but as we experienced rain I noticed the fabric did not stay as "smooth", wrinkling around where it's attached. Water can get through to the adhesive on the fabric.

I too have intentions of buying the EZ-Snaps, but haven't pulled the trigger since they are kind of expensive and you would need a lot to keep the fabric tight and smooth.

I will have to buy more 3M Command Strips for this season... removing them from the window at the end of summer basically destroys the adhesive part.

BTW, EZ-snaps do not warrant their snaps if you use another brand of fabric, instead of theirs.

TravelTiger

Thanks Erika! I have just ordered the screen in black.

But I have the same question about if the Velcro (or whatever you are using is holding OK)? I have a ton of Velcro but was going to buy the snap fitting from EZ Snap as they seem perfect. But Perfect comes at a price.

This is what I used, not traditional adhesive-backed Velcro.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Command-P...-Strips-Pack-4-Pack-16-Strips-Total/327769736

Command Strips are removable and don't damage the surfaces or leave residue.

They work ok. -- but I like the idea of the EZ Snaps. Anyone else want to be a Ginnie pig?

Garypowell

My fabric arrives Tuesday. I am going to try Velcro and report back. We are now full time stationary so we don’t have remove them....which might help for longer life.

The EZ Snap is just too expensive for now. Maybe after I see the heat savings and longevity (or the lack thereof) of my solution I might change my mind.

TravelTiger

My fabric arrives Tuesday. I am going to try Velcro and report back. We are now full time stationary so we don’t have remove them....which might help for longer life.

The EZ Snap is just too expensive for now. Maybe after I see the heat savings and longevity (or the lack thereof) of my solution I might change my mind.

Gary we are in the same boat, mostly stationary. We remove (pull the Velcro pieces apart) for travel.

Garypowell

Screening arrived today and it is certainly not your typical screen. Cut to size for the three windows I want to cover and applied my Velcro. To my wonder, about 1/2 hour later the screen fell off the window....leaving the Velcro behind.

Once the sun hit the window I applied it again. it stayed up long enough for me to determine it will make a big difference in the heat in the rig.

Bit the bullet and went to the EZ Snap website and ordered 60 fasteners for $83 with shipping.

Fortunately, I only did one window before the screen fell off. But I still have to remove the Velcro from the window I did.

At least one advantage of the studs is can put them on and then sit back and wait a day to let them firm up.

The saga will continue!

TravelTiger

Screening arrived today and it is certainly not your typical screen. Cut to size for the three windows I want to cover and applied my Velcro. To my wonder, about 1/2 hour later the screen fell off the window....leaving the Velcro behind.

Once the sun hit the window I applied it again. it stayed up long enough for me to determine it will make a big difference in the heat in the rig.

Bit the bullet and went to the EZ Snap website and ordered 60 fasteners for $83 with shipping.

Fortunately, I only did one window before the screen fell off. But I still have to remove the Velcro from the window I did.

At least one advantage of the studs is can put them on and then sit back and wait a day to let them firm up.

The saga will continue!

Argh! I must have applied a lot more Velcro, have not had that issue yet.

Keep us informed when you get the EZSnaps and take pics of the install process. I want to see if it's worth doing. The shades do help. Haven't put mine up yet because Texas can't decide what season it is yet... luckily still on the pleasant side... and we keep getting severe storms that would likely rip them down as well.

NP_Chief

If any of y'all wanna test them good, we are going to be in the triple digits here in South Georgia for Memorial Day weekend.

asherwin

I installed the EZ Snap system while in Florida this past winter. Put the screens on the south facing door side large windows and the west facing rear window. They made a significant difference. Went from using both A/C units in 90+ degree temps to primarily getting by with a single unit. Attached pics show view from outside and inside.ez snap outside.jpgez snap inside.jpg

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
I may have missed this but much do these restrict a breeze? Can air pass through or do you unsnap them in the evening?
Thank you.

TravelTiger

In our case, we have so much heat there's no chance we would open the crank out windows if we are using the shades. I bet you could unsnap part of the shade to operate windows if you wanted.

Here's a pic of the black version, you can see it's pretty dense, but air can get through.

b13c8658a673fb7d4a1b75320b8e194d.jpg

Garypowell

I'll have my install pics and story soon. Installed just before we left for trip (RV still sitting) and did not have the time to write it up. We did have one EZ Snap come loose during installation. And when we return to the rig next week everything will be in place for 3 weeks....so we'll get a bit of an endurance test too.

TravelTiger

I'll have my install pics and story soon. Installed just before we left for trip (RV still sitting) and did not have the time to write it up. We did have one EZ Snap come loose during installation. And when we return to the rig next week everything will be in place for 3 weeks....so we'll get a bit of an endurance test too.

Looking forward to it!

TravelTiger

could u put it on the inside?

I think it would be difficult, since your windows have screens already on the inside. The key is to not let as much sun contact the glass and heat it up, so I'm not sure having them the inside would help as much.

TravelTiger

GaryPowell, where is the story and pics!? It's about to be 100 for days here in Texas. I'm still using the Command Strip Velcro. Had to glue one side to the screen material, but holds great on the glass.