Pulling 2013 torque toy hauler in the cold?

Ccs

Good morning everyone! I am not quite a heartland owner yet but I am very close... I do have some concerns though .. my friend sent 90000 dollars on a jayco seismic fifth wheel and when he pulled it in the cold in the dead of winter a small crack started under the nose. Where the curve ends and meets the wall.. it’s about two inches long but getting bigger. The bedroom slide will not even open now unless the trailer is on the truck, if I buy this heartland my plan is to travel with it in the winter to go south and I don’t want to have these issues my friend is having ! If anyone at all has hauled a heartland tourque in cold Canadian weather any input would be greatly appreciated.. thank you

danemayer

Hi Ccs,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Correlation does not equal causality. The correlation between the crack your friend experienced, with towing in cold weather doesn't mean one caused the other. In fact, the few here who have experienced similar problems could likely find a correlation with warm weather. But it's no more due to warm weather than to cold weather. Cracks like you're describing often indicate a problem with the welds in the upper frame of the trailer body, or with a separation of the upper and lower frames due to a failure of a fastener.

Ccs

Thanks for the reply.. you are probably right.. the issue of not being able to open the slide probably says that it may be more than cold.. probably like you say ..some kind of structural damage

CDN

B and B
Hello CCS,

Fellow Ontarian here! I pulled my Bighorn home in -20 C from Walkerton to New Hamburg, No Issues or cracks kept it for two years. Picked up our Landmark in Walkerton this February and towed home again, no issues. Cracks or otherwise. Trailers are a lot cheaper in the dead of winter when it is -20C.

The Jayco has a frame problem likely. Now if he was in -50C at James Bay I could see metal fatigue nand possibly broken parts due to rough roads. Not between Ontario and southern climates.

Have fun, Heartland makes a great trailer, like all some little things happen that need repair.

Brian

Ccs

Thanks for the reply Brian! That’s exactly what I’m looking for ..you can’t go wrong with hands on experience . Thx a lot