Reducer Sleeve

RCD1968

I updated my tow vehicle and would like some input on my weight distribution hitch. I use a Fastway e2 WDH which fits a 2" receiver. My chevy silverado 2500HD has a 2 1/2" receiver. Is using a reducer sleeve acceptable? I have seen some different stuff online but would like some expert opinions. I also went to the Fastway website and I am not even sure they make a 2 1/2" shank for me to purchase. Thanks in advance.

My Ram 2500 came with a 2 1/2 inch receiver and a 2 inch adapter sleeve. I’ve used it for 3 years and haven’t had an issue except having to buy a longer pin for the sleeve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GK2018

We use a reducer sleeve on our Ram 2500 and have towed it close to about 10,000 miles and haven't had any problems so far. I inspect it pretty regularly just cause there is some play that comes with using the sleeve but I haven't even noticed any wear marks. We're using the E2 weight distribution hitch as well I absolutely love that thing, it makes a world of difference!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fox

Here is a pic of my former F250 hitch label, note that its load allowances vary - depending on if you use a sleeve (or not).
However my new F350 doesn't note any differences (and I believe its now a 3" hole). For comparison this pic has now been edited in.

Attachments

• F250 hitch.jpg
    F250 hitch.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 32
  • F350 hitch label.jpg
    F350 hitch label.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29

rwdennis

i used the reducer in my ram , from banging around it mushromed the hole out and it was a sob to get out .

GK2018

i used the reducer in my ram , from banging around it mushromed the hole out and it was a sob to get out .
I was wondering if that would be a future problem along with maybe wearing out the pin that goes through the hole from all that play. Knock on wood we haven't had that or any other issue with it yet. How did you wind up getting her out?

RCD1968

Here is a pic of my former F250 hitch label, note that its load allowances vary - depending on if you use a sleeve (or not).
However my new F350 doesn't note any differences (and I believe its now a 3" hole). For comparison this pic has now been edited in.

Thank you, this is helpful.

CoveredWagon

I updated my tow vehicle and would like some input on my weight distribution hitch. I use a Fastway e2 WDH which fits a 2" receiver. My chevy silverado 2500HD has a 2 1/2" receiver. Is using a reducer sleeve acceptable? I have seen some different stuff online but would like some expert opinions. I also went to the Fastway website and I am not even sure they make a 2 1/2" shank for me to purchase. Thanks in advance.

My 2017 2500hd came with a reducer sleeve, so I’m guessing is ok by Chevy to use an adapter.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I upgraded the shank on my equal-I-zer to 2-1/2 shank. Biggest disadvantage was the added weight of the shank. However, removing all of the play and not having to align a sleeve made it all worth while. Took quite a bit of play out of the hitch setup.

You might try calling E2 customer support. They may have a solution or its possible that shank from another brand such as equal-I-zer may be compatible.
if you did not know, The Fastway E2 hitches are made by the Progress Mfg. Inc same company that makes and sells the Equal-I-zer hitch.

RCD1968

We use a reducer sleeve on our Ram 2500 and have towed it close to about 10,000 miles and haven't had any problems so far. I inspect it pretty regularly just cause there is some play that comes with using the sleeve but I haven't even noticed any wear marks. We're using the E2 weight distribution hitch as well I absolutely love that thing, it makes a world of difference!

Thank you, that is reassuring, I plan on using a reducer sleeve.

- - - Updated - - -

I upgraded the shank on my equal-I-zer to 2-1/2 shank. Biggest disadvantage was the added weight of the shank. However, removing all of the play and not having to align a sleeve made it all worth while. Took quite a bit of play out of the hitch setup.

You might try calling E2 customer support. They may have a solution or its possible that shank from another brand such as equal-I-zer may be compatible.
if you did not know, The Fastway E2 hitches are made by the Progress Mfg. Inc same company that makes and sells the Equal-I-zer hitch.

I called e2 support today and they said it should be fine to use the reducer sleeve. Thanks for all your input.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Thank you, that is reassuring, I plan on using a reducer sleeve.

- - - Updated - - -

I called e2 support today and they said it should be fine to use the reducer sleeve. Thanks for all your input.

Good to know that E2 supports the reducer sleeve.