No Sealant Under Slide Out Flange?

I have had a slide out leak for some time with water dripping from the front inside corner of the frame. I found that the very thin line of caulk applied to the outside top edge of the lower flange had cracked. I poured water on it and the water immediately ran out of the bottom, inside of the edge gasket. It also leaked inside the trailer with the slide out closed. So, my question is, shouldn’t the factory have put butyl tape or some other sealant under the flange? I find it hard to believe that they thought a 1/8” bead of caulk is all that was needed to keep the water out!

dieseldog

It’s a good idea, although none of mine have ever had it behind the seals. I would suspect that it makes them easier to replace as they don’t last long when exposed to the sun. Just a good bead of caulk on the side and generous blob on the top seems to keep the water out.

Just to be clear, the flange I’m referring to is the metal frame around the outside of the slide which overlaps the sidewall of the trailer.

B

Boatman

Mine also had no sealant applied at the factory. As a result I was forced to replace the slide floor at my expense. Simply lack of quality control.

Mine also had no sealant applied at the factory. As a result I was forced to replace the slide floor at my expense. Simply lack of quality control.
I feel your pain. My ‘13 had a leak at the seam between the roof and the front cap within two years from new. I had to get a new roof when the TPO came unglued and separated. Caused a copious leak when we were 1600 miles from home. Makes ya mad, doesn’t it?

carl.swoyer

I have had a slide out leak for some time with water dripping from the front inside corner of the frame. I found that the very thin line of caulk applied to the outside top edge of the lower flange had cracked. I poured water on it and the water immediately ran out of the bottom, inside of the edge gasket. It also leaked inside the trailer with the slide out closed. So, my question is, shouldn’t the factory have put butyl tape or some other sealant under the flange? I find it hard to believe that they thought a 1/8” bead of caulk is all that was needed to keep the water out!
On my slides the vertical flap seal has a small bead of silicone behind it. This prevents water from running back into the camper. If any was gets behind the seal the silicone bead redirects the water out.
024a4ea3bd5a0d3a6c5cfec31e8d4516.jpg
f9c57f5f53ec25aae4ef204e022eec38.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk