Water draining from a low point drain after I turned on city water

Dbhinton

Hey y’all. New here and new to the camper thing too. I have a 2019 Mallard M27 and today the campsite shut off the city water source for maintenance and when they turned it back on, water started to come out of what I think is a low point drain for my water tank reservoir. I’ve always had the low point valve open since I left the dealer. I’ve been in the camper for almost 2 months and I turn the water off when I leave for days at a time and I’ve never had this issue when I turn the water back on. The water stops flowing from the drain underneath the camper when I use the water inside the camper in the sink, shower or wherever. Any ideas to fix this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My first thought is wondering if you have a good water pressure regulator.
If not, I guess it's possible that when the park turned the water on you may have gotten a surge that damaged the check valve in the water pump.
Just a guess on my part.
You can add a new check valve at the pump and it will prevent city water from filling your fresh water tank.

Peace
Dave

HOGHAULER

low point drains have quarter turn valve and the fresh water tank overflows are just a hose usually white vs the low point drains are red and blue.
My Anderson valve failed and while on city water was putting water into tank causing an overflow.
Short time workaround was running on tank lowering level until repair kit showed up.
Heartland should send one out if you op to install yourself.
Suggest always turning valve with city water turned off and pressure relieved. Valve will turn easier and less stress on internal O-rings.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

danemayer

I think Mallards have gravity fill fresh tank rather than the 4 Way Anderson Valve that's been mentioned. Since you leave the fresh tank drain open all the time, what is happening is that the city water is flowing backward through the water pump, into the fresh tank and out the drain.

The water pump has an internal check valve that is intended to prevent this from happening. But if a little crud makes its way into the pump, or if there's freeze damage, water will flow the wrong direction. As your Mallard is a 2019 and probably still under warranty, you might just replace the pump under warranty. This is usually a very quick and easy replacement - if the pump is easily accessible. If you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They may be willing to send you a replacement pump for self-install.

If you're out of warranty, or if you don't want to replace the pump, you can add a check valve to the suction side of the pump to prevent this from happening.

Page 4 of our owner-written Fresh Tank Fills by Itself user guide has a drawing that illustrates what's happening.

ndmac

I recently had this issue and here's what happened to me. Last two years when I winterized I noticed I had approx. 1/2 tank FW, then nearly full tank last year of fresh water that drained. (never put any in the tank)

This year about 2 months ago (we typically start in March each year) So about first of may I noticed water running out of FW overflow leaking around my galley door steps. (2015 Cyclone 4200)

I researched all the post related to this issue and bought a replacement Anderson 4-way valve since it was easy to replace and few years on it so logical place to start. That did not fix it so I was focusing on the Surflo built in check valve. Decided i would get an inline check valve and add it but I got to thinking about what happened and last time I actually used the pump and realized the only time I use it was to winterize.

I decided cycle the pump for about 5-10 minutes (did this about 3 times) and when I did this and the water stopped running out of the FW tank drain valve. For my situation before this as soon as I turned the water on it would run out of the FW drain when valve was open.

Not sure if this will work for others but, glad i tried it.

avvidclif

He needs to figure out first what drain it is. It could be the fresh water tank drain (1) or the low point drains (2, red & blue for hot and cold)