End Cap Seal

2PawsRiver

med seal.jpgWe have a 2019 Cyclone 4270 and yesterday we noticed a drip at the bottom corner of what I believe is the seal that wraps down each side and under the end cap that runs behind the Pin Box.

Looking closer, and checking the other side also has moisture and the seal has pulled away a little bit. As we check along the seal we notice the seal is pretty much open the whole way across. I have a hard time believing this is the actual seal as it has very little adhesive properties and I think it is just decorative, a secondary seal......or at least I hope it is a secondary seal, because it is a pretty weak seal.

Also the black covering inside the Pin Box area is not adhered like the sides are. I am assuming it is not supposed to be.

Called Heartland, but they are closed for the holiday, will try them again on Tuesday, just wanted to see if anybody has experience or input regarding this...………I will attempt to attach photos.overivew.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hoping to post anotherseal close.jpg

wdk450

Put 4 inch wide Eternabond tape over the top of both end cap seals. Down the sides of the end caps, if you feel it is needed. Water starts high, moves low.
Even the best caulk isn't as good as Eternabond, warrantied for 11 years. Removable with a heat gun. Heartland wants you to check roof caulk every 90 days, or they won't honor the warranty on leaks.

2PawsRiver

Thank you.....also had a RV Repair guy come by yesterday for an unrelated repair that took a look at it and said the same thing.

wdk450

I've said it before, and I will say it again: RV seam caulk is 1950's technology, that the manufacturers themselves consider so unreliable that they require YOU to inspect it every initially (PDI) and then every 90 days thereafter to maintain your warranty against leaks. Eternabond tape, (or the RV roof manufacturer Dicor's sealant tape) SHOULD be used by every RV manufacturer. I'm sure the manufacturer's will say: "Nobody else thinks it is necessary, or worth the extra expense". Someday some high end RV manufacturer will start using this, and maybe eventually they all will. In the meantime, if you live in a rainy part of the U.S. and want to prevent premature rotting of your framing wood, you NEED to get this on your end cap seams and all other roof seams you consider important. I live in dry California, and have had the 4 inch tape on my end cap seams and the 2 inch tape on the side rain gutter to rubber roof seams.

You can find this on E-Bay and Amazon, in different lengths, widths and even colors (mostly white).

danemayer

I think we may have gotten off track. I think the question is about the metal trim that goes down the sides and under the pinbox. I think that's normally caulked. Eternabond tape on those vertical runs would probably not be terribly attractive.

Water found in this area could also be from the roof, where the cap joins the roof. Eternabond there, as suggested, is a good idea. And if you ever have the rubber roof replaced, I would say it's a very good idea.

R8RNAZ

I've said it before, and I will say it again: RV seam caulk is 1950's technology, that the manufacturers themselves consider so unreliable that they require YOU to inspect it every initially (PDI) and then every 90 days thereafter to maintain your warranty against leaks. Eternabond tape, (or the RV roof manufacturer Dicor's sealant tape) SHOULD be used by every RV manufacturer. I'm sure the manufacturer's will say: "Nobody else thinks it is necessary, or worth the extra expense". Someday some high end RV manufacturer will start using this, and maybe eventually they all will. In the meantime, if you live in a rainy part of the U.S. and want to prevent premature rotting of your framing wood, you NEED to get this on your end cap seams and all other roof seams you consider important. I live in dry California, and have had the 4 inch tape on my end cap seams and the 2 inch tape on the side rain gutter to rubber roof seams.

You can find this on E-Bay and Amazon, in different lengths, widths and even colors (mostly white).

Good morning
I’m looking for pictures of the eternabond on the gutters. Would you post them please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro