What size ball on hitch on 24BHS?

Windy256

Hi Guys,

I am new here and learning how to post. I haven't learned how to make a new thread yet. So i am going to ask my question here since it has to do with a hitch.

My question is, I have a 2018 Heartland Northtrail 24 BHS. I am loving it so far used it a couple times last year and have some big trips this year. I have a fair amount of experience hitching trailers. But this has been a best i struggle getting it to sit and lock on and then i am struggling big time to get it off. This seems way harder than it should be. Today i tried to unhitch and it took me 3 HOURS to get it off.

By the end of this i am thinking some is wrong. I have a equalizer hitch and got to looking at it and saw instead of it being a 2 inch ball, it is actually a 2 5/16 inch ball. I am wondering if my dealership gave me to big of a ball and if it should just be the normal 2 inch ball?

What do you guys think? I cant imagine it being this difficult every time i need to hitch up on and off? Takes forever :(

Thanks

Windy256

Hi,

I have a general question. Last year we bought a 2018 Heatland Northtrail 24BHS. For the most part we love the trailer. We have only taken it out couple times last year and are planning on many more trips this summer.... One the obstacles i have had since i bought the trailer is it is a beast to hitch up and get the ball to sit and even worse to unhitch. Takes on average 1 1/2 to get trailer off the ball.

Today it took me 3 hours and i am so frustrated. After i finally got it unhitched i got to thinking. I hope my ball is the right size. We have a Equalizer hitch and i looked at the ball tonight and saw it is a 2 5/16 inch ball..... I just want to make sure this is correct. Should this be a 2 inch ball? Is there a way to swap this out if there is? That would be just my luck to have the wrong size.

What do you guys think? Also on a side note my city water hook up has a pretty steady leak on the outside when the hose is hooked up. Anybody have any ideas on that or how i can buy a replacement for the hose hookup?

Thanks so much!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Excessive sway

What size ball is the hitch receiver made for? If you have a 2 5/16” ball on the truck, it will be very difficult to get it into a 2” receiver. Conversely, using a 2” ball in a 2 5/16” receiver will cause excess movement between the two and may disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

In regards to the leaking city water fitting, yes, you can buy a replacement at most RV parts stores or online. But first, take a look at the rubber washer that should be inside it. May be damaged or missing. Pick up a pack of them at any hardware store.
Make sure the end of your water hose isn’t damaged, too. A cheap hose with a thin metal fitting can be easily deformed.

SNOKING

With most hitch latches for RV trailers, you lift the latch and slide it to the rear about 3/4" while the weight of the trailer tongue of on the ball, it should stay in the position while you use the tongue jack to raise the coupler off the ball. If that is not working right, you may have a damaged coupler. Chris

F_Goose

On your hose issue, along with checking your washers, try adding a 90 degree hose connector. This takes stress off your hose connection so your house hangs straight down.

Windy256

Re: Excessive sway

What size ball is the hitch receiver made for? If you have a 2 5/16” ball on the truck, it will be very difficult to get it into a 2” receiver. Conversely, using a 2” ball in a 2 5/16” receiver will cause excess movement between the two and may disconnect.

Hi, Thank you. That is what I was kind of hoping to find out on here. I don't know if there is a factory guy or employee who may know. It will be really easy to fix if I just need to get a 2 inch ball. How do I find out what my receiver was designed to receive. I looked for all the specs online and it doesn't say....

Thanks!!

Windy256

With most hitch latches for RV trailers, you lift the latch and slide it to the rear about 3/4" while the weight of the trailer tongue of on the ball, it should stay in the position while you use the tongue jack to raise the coupler off the ball. If that is not working right, you may have a damaged coupler. Chris

Thanks

I have been trying that. If it is correct to have a 2 5/16 ball and I hurt the coupler how would I fix something like that?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

In regards to the leaking city water fitting, yes, you can buy a replacement at most RV parts stores or online. But first, take a look at the rubber washer that should be inside it. May be damaged or missing. Pick up a pack of them at any hardware store.
Make sure the end of your water hose isn’t damaged, too. A cheap hose with a thin metal fitting can be easily deformed.

What online store would you recommend I go to buy washers and a replacement if it is needed.

Any websites you could share would be awesome! Would it be a universal part I would buy or would it be a Heartland Specific one I would need.

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the reply's. I haven't figured out how to thank everyone yet. But I am grateful for each of your thoughts.

Thanks!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Sometimes if the vehicle or trailer rolls while trying to hitch the couple can jamb and be a real pain to decouple.

Make sure wheels on trailer are blocked. Set parking brake on tow vehicle as needed to keep vehicle from moving.

If jammed look to see which direction the hitch is jammed.
If ball is pushed hard against front of coupler back up slightly.
If ball is jammed towards back of coupler pull forward slightly.
It may take a second person to help or carefully have jack raised just enough for ball to release if coupler is open.

JohnDar

Windy, first take a close look at the trailer coupler. It should have the size stamped on it. If it says it’s a 2”, then you should be able to buy a 2” ball and replace the one in the truck hitch. The correct ball and coupler combination should mate up fairly easily. It should not take hours to hitch and unhitch if the truck and trailer are reasonably level. And make sure the little locking lever is moving the section inside the coupler freely. Sometimes, they can bind if they get corroded.

The washers for hose fittings can be found at any Ace Hardware, GilRoy’s Hardware, or home center. You can even get them with a conical debris screen.

For the city water fitting, do a search for a Camco city water fitting and you will find sources for them. Get a brass one with check valve. If you’re near a RV dealer or a Camping World store, they may have them. But first, make sure it’s the washer or hose male fitting that’s the problem and not the inlet assembly.

SNOKING

Thanks

I have been trying that. If it is correct to have a 2 5/16 ball and I hurt the coupler how would I fix something like that?

Thanks

I would add one more thing about unhitching. Sometimes if the tow vehicle has pressure pulling forward on the coupler one has to raise the trailer higher to create enough force to cause the ball to come out of the curved part of the coupler.

BTW you can be assured that the coupler of a modern trailer that size is made for a 2 5/8" ball.

Chris

pedirob

Sometimes if the vehicle or trailer rolls while trying to hitch the couple can jamb and be a real pain to decouple.

Make sure wheels on trailer are blocked. Set parking brake on tow vehicle as needed to keep vehicle from moving.

If jammed look to see which direction the hitch is jammed.
If ball is pushed hard against front of coupler back up slightly.
If ball is jammed towards back of coupler pull forward slightly.
It may take a second person to help or carefully have jack raised just enough for ball to release if coupler is open.

THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
If joint between the ball and the coupler is "stretched" or "squished" too much it will be hard to disengage. Move your tow vehicle a few inches forward or backward until the release lever moves freely. Be sure your trailer is chocked and your stabilizer jacks are up.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

What do you guys think? Also on a side note my city water hook up has a pretty steady leak on the outside when the hose is hooked up. Anybody have any ideas on that or how i can buy a replacement for the hose hookup?

Thanks so much!

I would definitely try a new washer before anything, as they cost only pennies, and if it works, it's a super easy fix.
You can buy rubber hose washers anywhere - Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Unfortunately I've found most of them are made of cheap rubber that will deform or crack over time. I've been very happy with these high grade silicone washers. They have cured many of my leaking hose problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Dudes®-Garden-Silicone-Washers-10-pack/dp/B00ZJBVV8U

JohnDar

I would add one more thing about unhitching. Sometimes if the tow vehicle has pressure pulling forward on the coupler one has to raise the trailer higher to create enough force to cause the ball to come out of the curved part of the coupler.

BTW you can be assured that the coupler of a modern trailer that size is made for a 2 5/8" ball.

Chris

Yeah, I forgot that our previous TT was a 2 5/16" ball hitch. 11 years and gallons of booze tend to dim some memories.. Only time I recall having a problem unhitching was when there was a depression where I had to drop the tongue jack and didn't have enough pieces of board. Creative mound building saved the day.

farupp

We have a 2018 NT 24BHS. The hitch ball is definitely a 2-5/16" We keep a little lubrication (grease) on the ball to assist in unhooking, and when turning while towing. A 2" ball is too small.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
We have a 2018 NT 24BHS. The hitch ball is definitely a 2-5/16" We keep a little lubrication (grease) on the ball to assist in unhooking, and when turning while towing. A 2" ball is too small.

X2 on grease. Keeps ball and coupler from wearing out. Reduces any noise too.