Thread: New Fuel 287 owner.

1. Print this Post   #1

New Fuel 287 owner.

Just got my new Fuel 287 about a week ago, I will be hauling a Harley Ultra. I would like some suggestions on securing it down. Starting with a wheel mount. I would like one I can remove when the bike is not in the trailer. Ready to travel.

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: New Fuel 287 owner.

Welcome to the forum! I don't have any personal experience with hauling a motorcycle, but my neighbors soemthing like this and it seems to work well for them.

https://www.discountramps.com/kafe-m...AaAgfJEALw_wcB

3. Print this Post   #3

I have been using a Condor wheel chock for the last 7 years, we are full timers, without any problems, The "trailer" model is easily removable. It is nice to be able to ride the bike into the chock and then get off with the bike remaining standing on its own (as long as the floor is fairly level.)
    Lou and Bette - R.I.P. Milo (the Maltese) we will miss him
    2013 F450
    (2011 Road Warrior 405rw - traded in)
    2015 Big Horn 3570RS
    (2009 Ultra Red Hot Sunglow/Dusky Gold - traded in)
    2015 Street Glide Superior Blue

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz9504 View Post
    Just got my new Fuel 287 about a week ago, I will be hauling a Harley Ultra. I would like some suggestions on securing it down. Starting with a wheel mount. I would like one I can remove when the bike is not in the trailer. Ready to travel.
    We have a 305 & I use the front wheel chocks from HF, been using them for years with no issues. I have not mounted them & use a strap to hold it when I back out.

5. Print this Post   #5

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz9504 View Post

I have a 287 as well, this is my bike. Harbor freight wheel chock(removable) and four straps. Two around frame where crash bar mounts, down and to the front. Two straps on the skid plate near oil pan down and to the back. Towed over 500 miles, bike never moved. Iím assuming you have lowers on your crashbar
    Because itís an ultra.... if you hook where I did you will have to adjust where you position the bike to get the right angle on the straps so they donít rub your lowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Fuel 287
    2016 Roadglide special in the box
    Tow Pig=2013 2500HD 6.0 gas

6. Print this Post   #6

I use a Condor chock for my RG Ultra. I run the front straps around the lower for legs between the fender and lower leg then down to an anchor point. Two straps on the front and then two straps from the rear swing arm to an anchor point. I do this in the toy hauler and on a flatbed. Hauled two baggers and a triglide over rough roads without any problems. There is no pressure on the suspension when you tie down this way.

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by JFED79 View Post

I have a 287 as well, this is my bike. Harbor freight wheel chock(removable) and four straps. Two around frame where crash bar mounts, down and to the front. Two straps on the skid plate near oil pan down and to the back. Towed over 500 miles, bike never moved. Iím assuming you have lowers on your crashbar
    Because itís an ultra.... if you hook where I did you will have to adjust where you position the bike to get the right angle on the straps so they donít rub your lowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is your wheel chock mounted to the floor? it has to be, I just don't see where. Nice bike you have there.

8. Print this Post   #8

Brand new Heartland Fuel 287 owner here. Just dry fit my two hunting toys. Tight fit but they made it in. Man do we love the camper!