3rd a/c

Rsh3

I have a Torque 371 with 2 a/c's. Has anyone added a 3rd? I was unaware it could have been prepped for a 3rd when it was built. After inquiring about a 3rd a/c, I was told the garage area may not support a 3rd unit.

danemayer

Hi Rsh3,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Hopefully another Torque owner will chime in shortly to let you know what's possible.

I have been looking into this myself, I was an RV Tech for a few years and after looking in the Vent area it doesn't look like mine is prepped for it but might be able to pull the wire through the wall. Maybe someone else will have a better idea than me.

danemayer

On toy haulers with 3 A/C units, Heartland sets it up either with a switch that restricts usage to two of the units at the same time, or with a PCS control system that sheds electrical loads to ensure you're not exceeding available power. If you don't have a switch or a PCS wall plate in your control panel, you're probably not prepped for 3 units.

The difficulty running 3 A/C units at the same time is mainly when using the on-board generator. An Onan 5500 supplies less than 1/2 of the power as a 50 Amp pedestal.

jam9964

We have a torque 325 and I installed the 3rd A/C a couple a months ago. I ordered a Dometic 13500 unit with the inside duct and control assembly. Pretty simple install, I pulled 12-2 wire in the ceiling towards the front wall and pulled it down behind the TV. Then ran it along the back of the shelf thats in the top front of my garage to the back side of RV. Ran wire down next to door to 1/2 bath and through the floor which ended up in the outside trap door for my rear tank. Wired a male plug onto the 12-2 wire and when at the campground and need the 3rd air I use a 20amp extension cord and plug it into the 20amp outlet. Used it 2 weeks ago at the lake in the 100 degree heat and it worked great.