Mice

Hollie

Hello,

We recently purchased a North trail 33BKS trailer that had sat vacant for Two years and we have seen signs of mice especially in the vents and the Bathroom. can anyone help with tips for prevention of this happening. previously we had a Starcraft and never had any problems so this is New. Any tips or places to be aware of would be Great> thank you!

danemayer

Hi Hollie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

2 years ago we found two mice that got into our rig over the winter. We got 2 sets of these devices from Amazon and have them plugged in all over the RV including in the basement and plumbing area. We have power available.

If you don't have power while in storage, you'll have to try some other techniques, starting with sealing as many of the opening as you can on the underside of the trailer.

I'm sure others will chime in shortly with their favorite approaches to discouraging mice.

BarbandFrank

We use Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent which repels mice by creating an odor that is offensive to them. This product comes in a box with four scented pouches containing a botanical pesticide. We place the pouches inside the RV and the basement. It has a money back guarantee and it has worked for us! It has a pleasant pine scent. We purchased through Amazon.

Barb

MGMiller

Good morning! This is actually Doreen, not Myles and I am the Mouse Hunter now! We have had our 3010re since summer or 2013 and this is the first mouse war we have had. The little darlings only seem to be appearing in the kitchen area. There were none in it when we brought it home from storage. About a week later we found one in the garbage can (smaller flip top one that is by the island). I disinfected the entire trailer and set out traps. Nothing for a month. Now that we are going to take it to the lake, one gets caught. I have set traps in the basement now also, didn't before. What I am wondering is does anyone have suggestions how the little critters get up into the trailer? I can't see them shimmying up the jacks, tires maybe. The electrical cord opening is stuffed tight with steel wool. Ours are Alberta mice so they can't jump that high!!

emery395

I can Definitely tell you don’t try to use Irish Spring soap the little critters actually ate the soap and it did not deter any mice

RAHanock

Mice are difficult to deal with. Once you think everything is sealed, they find another way in. I have sealed and re-sealed any areas that look like they could get in and they find a new way. Just found more evidence recently after spending lots of time and money to clean up from a few years ago.

In my opinion, the Heartland products do little if anything to prevent them from getting into your trailer. There are just too many open areas that you can't seal, such as around the slides.

I have resorted to placing traps inside to see what they catch and remove them that way. But to prevent them from coming in is a real challenge. I have tried sealing and blocking openings, using peppermint oil, using bate dispensers on the outside around the trailer, fabricating special plates around the slide tubes to close up the opening when the slide is out, etc., etc. It is a constant battle. Good luck!

NYSUPstater

I asked a similar question couple months ago and a product that was suggested and had very good reviews is Mouseproof. Can get thru Amazon or Gander Outdoors. Looks like you need a air compressor to apply it. About 100 bucks/gallon.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I asked a similar question couple months ago and a product that was suggested and had very good reviews is Mouseproof. Can get thru Amazon or Gander Outdoors. Looks like you need a air compressor to apply it. About 100 bucks/gallon.

I think you mean MouseFree. Been using it for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61Hawks

Not sure if anyone has heard of this before but i read on line that you put cardboard under the wheels and landing gear with grease smeared on it. The article said mice or rats wont cross the greasy mess. Anyone else heard of this?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Back on the topic of MouseFree, my neighbor at the CG used a brush and roller to apply it to his trailer after we talked about it. Depends on how accessible the frame is as to whether or not it's easier. A small 3-gallon nail gun compressor is what I use.