Where are my AC filters located?

Fox

I never gave it a thought until today - I've not seen any AC filters to clean.
Surely they exist (please don't tell me they're on the roof)?

Attachments

• h524E881E.jpeg
    h524E881E.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 43

Gary521

They are foam filters located under the return air ducts in the ceiling. The return registers just snap off and the filters are there. Just wash them in the sink.

Fox

OK I checked - and I still don't see anything that looks like an AC return (or two), nor any filters.

I believe what I have is a raceway type of air ducting system; it uses 13 ceiling mounted 3" - 4" louvered openings. I guess it's possible some are returns but I don't see any filters.

LBR

OK I checked - and I still don't see anything that looks like an AC return (or two), nor any filters.

I believe what I have is a raceway type of air ducting system; it uses 13 ceiling mounted 3" - 4" louvered openings. I guess it's possible some are returns but I don't see any filters.
Does yours not have the grill?
2ab32043e52677c00441fc293ab3883f.jpg

Fox

Nope, nothing like that (both of my previous units did).

I've got 13 of these:

Attachments

• 20190601_200214.jpg
    20190601_200214.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45

Gary521

Normally, the returns are on one side of the unit and the supply from the AC is on the other. The returns are usually on the door side. Snap off the round covers and the foam is inside (return side only).

Fox

I guess I need to go back inside, turn both fans on high and then check if some vents blow and others suck.
I never peeled these vents off the ceiling as they all appeared to be blowers.

Fox

About 30 min. ago I remembered this discussion; as the inside temp was 90+ I didn't stay long.
But I did pull two of these covers - the one on the door side was clear (no provision for a filter) but the other side had this (filter): tomorrow /or soon - I'll pull/ check the others.

MODS can mark this as resolved.

Attachments

• 20190602_173703.jpg
    20190602_173703.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 54

Gary521

That be them! On my Bighorn the filters are on the door side. Why the difference - who knows.

SNOKING

Our2017 BH3575el has the return duct on the off door side. Supply is on the door side. Ducts leaked like a sieve until I taped up all the holes and cracks. Still not the best system as the inverted U duct is not bonded to the top side of the ceiling panels. They went away from this design in later years. Chris

Fox

This evening I remembered this project so went inside the camper and pulled all the vents. Five of the thirteen had filters BUT they were scattered willy-nilly (on both sides of my Bighorn).

Before I reinstall the vents I will kick on both blower fans and try to determine which way the air flows through my unit; based on their appearance I originally guessed (wrongly) that they all blew air.

Attachments

• 20190603_193358.jpg
    20190603_193358.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 40

Fox

Last night I cleaned all 13 vents and the 5 filters; allowed them to dry overnight.

This morning I returned to the camper and turned on both fans. What I found is the 7 door side vents are blowers (the odd number is due to the bathroom not having a return) while the 6 off-side vents were the returns. I installed the 5 filters to the oft side.

Gary521

On some units, both front and rear AC units are connected by a common duct on the return side and the supply side. Some have separate supply side duct work. This was dependent upon bathroom layout. Perhaps they switched the supply side from the off door side to the door side so that a common supply side duct could be used regardless of bath layout. I have an early 2017 unit that does not have a common supply side duct and the supply is on the off door side.

Fox

This is a popular (often necessary) bath return vent.

Attachments

• 008980_1.jpg
    008980_1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 20

Gibbster

I have searched all my vents inside and out. No filters on my 2016 BH 3010RE on door side or other. I can hardly get any airflow out any vent. Am now creating air flow dams out of budlight cardboard containers to direct air flow out of raceway. Why am i doing this on a fairly new rig? When i stick my hand up there in raceway i can feel nice cool air, that doesnt flow out. This normal?:mad::mad:

danemayer

I have searched all my vents inside and out. No filters on my 2016 BH 3010RE on door side or other. I can hardly get any airflow out any vent. Am now creating air flow dams out of budlight cardboard containers to direct air flow out of raceway. Why am i doing this on a fairly new rig? When i stick my hand up there in raceway i can feel nice cool air, that doesnt flow out. This normal?:mad::mad:

Hi Gibbster,

2016 models are maybe up to 4 years old. Has it been this way for that entire time?

Fox

IF the return vents have never been filtered then the AC unit themselves are likely clogged; if allowed to continue it won't be good.

Someone needs to clean the actual units NOW, before they give up the ghost.

Gibbster

Hi Gibbster,

2016 models are maybe up to 4 years old. Has it been this way for that entire time?

It has been this way since I bought it new. Not a big problem until it gets hot and humid, the it seems like what little air flow Iget out becomes even less. A lot of noise for very little output.