Excessive Tire Wear- Axels?

Haliday

Hi, I new to the forum with a tire question. Both tires on the right side of of our trailer have excessive wear on both outside shoulders to about a quarter of the way into the tread. The shoulders are worn down to about 20% while the rest of the tread is about 80%. The tires on the other side look to be wearing evenly. Is this just an alignment issue or could it be an axle issue?

danemayer

Hi Haliday,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It would be unusual to have the same alignment problem on both axles. Alignment problems can be caused by running over curbs or taking a very hard bounce on a bad bridge joint. So it could be that. But usually, it's just one axle.

Another possibility is the axles not tracking perpendicular to the center line from the pin going down the middle of the coach. This can be caused by different weight from side-to-side. If you have a trailer that has Correct Track on the suspension, it can be adjusted to compensate.

8404fmfvet

Interesting I had that issue with the front right tire on my double axle Torque 371. It was the only tire showing excessive wear. Everything seemed ok like tire pressure no axle issues. My guess is I had a bad tire. I put a Sailun in its place and there is no noticeable wear with roughly the same distance traveled. I should have ditched the stock tires and put sailuns on the other 3 rims. The only other thing I can think of was weight placement but there is nothing heavy over that axle, or maybe the cornering I was doing. Either way I swapped it out and no issues since.

mlpeloquin

I had the same problem with my G614's after crossing the country. Saw it early. About an 1/8" on the outer edge front and rear on the passenger side. It was the alignment. Brought it to a truck trailer alignment shop. Did the same after last years cross country trip. They were out again about 1/4 in the rear and 1/8 in the front.

8404fmfvet

I had the same problem with my G614's after crossing the country. Saw it early. About an 1/8" on the outer edge front and rear on the passenger side. It was the alignment. Brought it to a truck trailer alignment shop. Did the same after last years cross country trip. They were out again about 1/4 in the rear and 1/8 in the front.
What if it’s just one tire? Could a single tire be out of alignment? I ask because I don’t see how you would only have wear on one side and not the other? Seems like if it was an alignment issue you would have the opposite issue on the other side????? I checked the new tire again tonight before it was to dark and it is holding up fine. The stock tires are starting to show their age. I am definitely going to have to replace them. I’m guessing by the time I get to Texas the stock tires will have about 14 thousand miles on them. All in all I have to say my 5th wheel has held up pretty good, going from Michigan to Alaska and now Alaska to Texas. Them Canadian roads are no joke!

wdk450

Hi, I new to the forum with a tire question. Both tires on the right side of of our trailer have excessive wear on both outside shoulders to about a quarter of the way into the tread. The shoulders are worn down to about 20% while the rest of the tread is about 80%. The tires on the other side look to be wearing evenly. Is this just an alignment issue or could it be an axle issue?

As with most every post on the forum, it would be of some help to know the model of your rig, just as getting make/model for any appliance questions.

If it is a large 5th wheel, I would recommend a visit to a truck alignment center to get a laser alignment.