1/2 Ton towing

biddysere

Hey, Newbie question here:
I just bought a Heartland 25 RKS, stated dry weight of 5900#. I have a GMC 1500 with the 5.3 V-8 that I pulled it home with. It was quite the battle going up hill and seemed to shake the truck left to right a lot and felt like it wanted to veer off course on its' own and it was weaving back & forth in the tire ruts, not to mention 6 mpg on the flat land.
Is it time for me to get a bigger engine & stiffer suspension, or bite the bullet and get a bigger truck? Everyone says a 1500 should haul this but it wore me out hauling it 20 miles home. Thanks!

ram22

I tow 25 FBS (GTW 6,900#) with Ram 1500 EcoDiesel no problems. I did just add AirLyft air bags but that’s to load my bed while towing. I would say set up is crucial. Go back and reassess everything setup: trailer leveling, load leveling/sway bar setup, tire pressures, center of gravity of truck and trailer, truck front end maintenance, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox

I too think a GMC 1500 would pull that load (provided your truck isn't already overloaded with tools/ equipment); maybe not quickly but safely.

Perhaps you don't have the proper hitch weight on the truck? Too little weight leads to sway and white knuckles - too much weight lifts the trucks front tires off the highway - lessening the steering response. Bumper pull hitch weight should be 10% - 15% of the trailers total loaded weight.

What part of Bama are you in?
Dothan/ Ft Rucker?

carl.swoyer

I just bought a Heartland 25 RKS, stated dry weight of 5900#. I have a GMC 1500 with the 5.3 V-8 that I pulled it home with. It was quite the battle going up hill and seemed to shake the truck left to right a lot and felt like it wanted to veer off course on its' own and it was weaving back & forth in the tire ruts, not to mention 6 mpg on the flat land.
Is it time for me to get a bigger engine & stiffer suspension, or bite the bullet and get a bigger truck? Everyone says a 1500 should haul this but it wore me out hauling it 20 miles home. Thanks!
First chance I would buy a bigger truck.
6 mpg is horrible and expensive. Not to mention ability to stop.
Good luck

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

biddysere

Yes, in dothan. I researched and my truck is supposed to handle 6700 lbs. The trailer alone is 6900. I think i need to do adjustments, had we just hooked it up according to the seller's idea. A 6 speed tranny (mines a 4) with cooling package can carry over 9k#. I really don't understand that
I too think a GMC 1500 would pull that load (provided your truck isn't already overloaded with tools/ equipment); maybe not quickly but safely.

Perhaps you don't have the proper hitch weight on the truck? Too little weight leads to sway and white knuckles - too much weight lifts the trucks front tires off the highway - lessening the steering response. Bumper pull hitch weight should be 10% - 15% of the trailers total loaded weight.

What part of Bama are you in?
Dothan/ Ft Rucker?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fox

Without more info it appears (surprisingly) that you've got too little truck for the load (what year is it?). If this is the case then don't waste money trying to upgrade - purchase something different.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A 1500 is best equipped to pull a pop-up camper, Move up to a 2500 at the very least. We had a light weight TT wIth a Chevy Avalanche (1500 series). Tail wagged the dog even with a sway bar and WDH.

bar and WDH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avvidclif

But but but but that goes against the grain. Several years ago the rage was 1/2t towable 5th wheels grossing 9-10k. Don't see much of that anymore.

Fox

Many of us have been there (or nearly there), and now know better.

What gets me are those who ask upfront, and then choose to ignore our advice because someone else told them what they wanted to hear, that it could.

carl.swoyer

I tow 25 FBS (GTW 6,900#) with Ram 1500 EcoDiesel no problems. I did just add AirLyft air bags but that’s to load my bed while towing. I would say set up is crucial. Go back and reassess everything setup: trailer leveling, load leveling/sway bar setup, tire pressures, center of gravity of truck and trailer, truck front end maintenance, etc.

Adding any suspension or tire upgrades will have no effect on the manufacturer gvcw.
If you are over the specs on the sticker on the door your illegal.

biddysere

Adding any suspension or tire upgrades will have no effect on the manufacturer gvcw.

Yep, looks like a 3/4 ton is in my future

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Illegal for what??? Who enforces it? Ever get a ticket for being overweight in your pick-em-up truck? Know anyone that did?

CoveredWagon

Many of us have been there (or nearly there), and now know better.

What gets me are those who ask upfront, and then choose to ignore our advice because someone else told them what they wanted to hear, that it could.

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines. “Do you want the truth or do you you want the answer you want to hear”?

ram22

Illegal for what??? Who enforces it? Ever get a ticket for being overweight in your pick-em-up truck? Know anyone that did?

You said exactly what I was thinking! Plus, I didn’t say anything about ‘overloading.’ I just said I got air bags to help with weight in the bed while towing. Suddenly I was a criminal. Lol

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Reminds me of one of my favorite lines.

“Do you want the truth or do you you want the answer you want to hear”?

Or this one...

"Just because someone else has been doing it for years with no problems doesn't mean the rest of us should!"

MountainDon

I tow a north trail 21FBS ( GVW 6900 lbs ) with a GMC 1500 truck. it is rated at 9500 lbs towing and has the 6.2l engine. It tows the trailer like a dream ( I got around 11 -12 MPG on the last trip )

My previous truck was a 2004 5.3l chevy and it was miserable to tow the same trailer. It was rated at 7500 lbs, but clearly must have lost some ponies along the way - it got around 7-8 MPG