Black Tank Flush

Bobby A

After 10 years of full time with no issues with black tank flush. We had the unit in storage for the winter and when it came time to flush the holding tank for the first time I could tell the spray for the black tank was not working, I can tell the sound of the sprayer after 10 years of flushing. I would suspect the sprayers have gotten calcium build up from the hard water out hear at the lake. Any suggestion on how to free this up ?? Thanks in advance,
Bobby A

wdk450

First of all, be sure that there is no water leakage in the hidden (utility) part of your storage compartment. These flushers have a plastic atmospheric breaker check valve that are notorious for breaking (usually attributed to high water pressure) and dumping water all over the stuff in the storage compartment (like my $250 Progressive Converter/Charger).

If all is dry, and you are ready to go crawling back into the utility area the best idea/test I can think of is to disconnect the water line from the spray head on the tank and see if it runs water when an assistant turns on the black tank washer for you. See this instruction sheet from B&B molders, Page 3, box #6 to see how it is plumbed. I don't know if Heartland uses the "Spin Weld" or "ABS" sprayer, but you should be able to unscrew the line from the check valve to test the rest of the system (minus the sprayer head).

In all my years on the forum, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having the system clogged up: on the other hand I have heard of water leakage disasters from the check valve all too frequently.

BTW, your rig is about the same vintage as mine. The black tank flusher check valve is up in the wall behind the toilet (viewed with you sitting on it) . There is some plumbing code that says it has to be higher than the highest drain, which they consider to be the bathroom sink. Later on they moved it to where you could access it from the round screw-off panel in the shower.

Bobby A

First of all, be sure that there is no water leakage in the hidden (utility) part of your storage compartment. These flushers have a plastic atmospheric breaker check valve that are notorious for breaking (usually attributed to high water pressure) and dumping water all over the stuff in the storage compartment (like my $250 Progressive Converter/Charger).

If all is dry, and you are ready to go crawling back into the utility area the best idea/test I can think of is to disconnect the water line from the spray head on the tank and see if it runs water when an assistant turns on the black tank washer for you. See this instruction sheet from B&B molders, Page 3, box #6 to see how it is plumbed. I don't know if Heartland uses the "Spin Weld" or "ABS" sprayer, but you should be able to unscrew the line from the check valve to test the rest of the system (minus the sprayer head).

In all my years on the forum, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having the system clogged up: on the other hand I have heard of water leakage disasters from the check valve all too frequently.

BTW, your rig is about the same vintage as mine. The black tank flusher check valve is up in the wall behind the toilet (viewed with you sitting on it) . There is some plumbing code that says it has to be higher than the highest drain, which they consider to be the bathroom sink. Later on they moved it to where you could access it from the round screw-off panel in the shower.

Thanks for the reply Bill, this plastic atmospheric breaker check valve your refering to, its not the black plastic thing that is behind the screw off opening that is in the shower ?? (If not, what is this part called ??) it looks like it has two lines attached. I haven't seen any water leakage, THANK GOD !! I will double check tomorrow. Second question, if it is behind the toilet, how are you suppose to get to it ?? Cut a square hole and replace it and then put a piece of wood to hide the hole ?? So, if you sitting on the toilet backwards, its about head high ?? Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I will have plenty more as I dig into this. Thank you, Bobby

danemayer

I've attached a picture of the black tank flush vacuum breaker.

Attachments

• BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 111

Gary521

A lot of us have bypassed this valve altogether and installed a check valve at the inlet. Much easier fix.

Bobby A

I've attached a picture of the black tank flush vacuum breaker.

Thanks Dan for the pic, visuals really work for me. Is this pic the same thing as Bill Knight was refering to in his 1st post back to me ?? He called it a plastic atmospheric check valve.

Thanks very much,
Bobby

danemayer

Thanks Dan for the pic, visuals really work for me. Is this pic the same thing as Bill Knight was refering to in his 1st post back to me ?? He called it a plastic atmospheric check valve.

Thanks very much,
Bobby
Same thing. Location varies sometimes, but in the larger coaches, there's usually a 6" diameter circular access port and the breaker and shower pex connections are behind it. The picture I posted is from a Bighorn being built in Oct 2016.

Bobby A

Same thing. Location varies sometimes, but in the larger coaches, there's usually a 6" diameter circular access port and the breaker and shower pex connections are behind it. The picture I posted is from a Bighorn being built in Oct 2016.

Thank you, I have that access panel in the shower, I will replace the suspect part tomorrow, I will post back, thank you very much guys.

Mabear

Thanks very much,
Bobby

Where do I find the picture that Bobby is referring to?

Thank you
Mabear