New travel trailer most windows leaking

Bldjrs123

Hi all.. we have a 2019 prowler lynx 30lx. It's our 1st trailer other than a pop up. So we are having major issues and looking for some advice until can get it in to a repair place. About 2 weeks into having it one window started leaking between the inside frame and the wall called dealer (we're out of state now ((we are full timers due to husbands work)) ) he said some times that happens and dont know until first good rain. Ok fine taped it up good haven't had it leak since. But now I have 4 other windows that are leaking. It's all in the same areas of the windows between the metal ring on inside and wall. The water just runs/drips down the wall enough to make puddles. Its suppose to pretty much rain for the next 15 days so guess between rains I'll tape all the windows up. But wondering of anyone has any suggestions.

danemayer

Hi Bldjrs123,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Is there caulk around the outside top and sides of the windows?

Bldjrs123

Honestly lol I'm assuming so as it's a new camper but honestly I dont know. It's been raining cats and dogs since last night when noticed all other windows were leaking.

How would I know if there is? Should I be able to see it? I'm totally clueless with this camper and hubs works 7 days a week since we've gotten it almost 2 months ago.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you examine it and find there is no caulking, take photos of it and then call Heartland with your VIN. Granted, it’s an owner maintenance thing to take care of over time, but it shouldn’t come new from the factory without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bldjrs123

Trying to reply again 1st reply hasn't shown up.

Honestly I dont know if there is caulking around windows. Would u be able to see it? Hubs has been working 7 days a week since getting it. And I just dont even know really anything about trailers. I'm assuming there is because it's new but then again we have different little things go wrong in the under 2 months of having it I'm close to thinking we got a defective camper lol.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Water is probably the most damaging to a trailer. Granted, it should have been done at the factory, but it's not that hard to caulk the windows and keep the water out. Taping will keep the water out, but if you recaulk it yourself, you don't have to go back to the dealer. If you do as John said, HL will likely reimburse you for the caulking material.

Bldjrs123

Water is probably the most damaging to a trailer. Granted, it should have been done at the factory, but it's not that hard to caulk the windows and keep the water out. Taping will keep the water out, but if you recaulk it yourself, you don't have to go back to the dealer. If you do as John said, HL will likely reimburse you for the caulking material.

Yes this is why I'm trying g to figure out why 5 out of 8 windows are leaking. Soon as the rain lets up I'm going to check the caulking best that I can not really sure what I'm looking for. But if for some chance they are caulked any other explanation to maybe why they are leaking.

NYSUPstater

Just want to see what others think here to get OP by until a more perm fix is done, but what if they use Eterna Bond tape around all the windows for now? Given supposed to rain next 15 days, would this work?

Bldjrs123

Just want to see what others think here to get OP by until a more perm fix is done, but what if they use Eterna Bond tape around all the windows for now? Given supposed to rain next 15 days, would this work?

One of the windows started leaking about 3 weeks in to having camper and I put duct tape all around it and haven't had any leaks with It since. After some Google search i thought maybe it was the weep holes but now with all the other windows leaking on not sure if that's it or what's going on. Sucks since it's a new camper. Going to get lots of duct tape and hope rain let's up enough to be able to tape them all up. It's the only solution i can come up with until we change jobs in few weeks to where hubs isnt working 7 days a weeks plus being on night shift

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If properly caulked, you’ll be able to see the caulk around the top and upper sides of the window outside. They are not caulked all the way done. That is intentional. Let’s any moisture from condensation out from behind the window. If you can’t see any caulk around the exterior of the window, get some ProFlex and apply it to the top and down the sides about half way.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Use wide blue 3M mastic tape as a temporary fix, not Eternabond. Eternabond does not come off easily. The blue tape will stay put for quite a while.

Bldjrs123

If properly caulked, you’ll be able to see the caulk around the top and upper sides of the window outside. They are not caulked all the way done. That is intentional. Let’s any moisture from condensation out from behind the window. If you can’t see any caulk around the exterior of the window, get some ProFlex and alloy it to the top and down the sides about half way.

From what I can tell they are caulked. I'm shortish lol and even on 2 step step ladder I cant see top. Taking it to a dealer in a few weeks when hubs gets his lay off so until then I'm taping them up best I can

Tundra2084

The caulking around the windows will be between the window frame and wall. It may be white or clear in color, it may look like a strip of white chalky toothpaste or a clear strip of toothpaste (yes I know toothpaste is not clear but you get the idea). As others have said it should go from the bottom side of the window, up around the top of window and down other side but not the very bottom as this is where the weep holes are. If there is NO caulking take pictures and keep them to show your dealer and heartland.

Lou_and_Bette

FWIW, we had a leak around one of our small bedroom windows in the slide out that I could not find. There was caulking around the window, but only about halfway down each side and across the top. I knew that they left the bottom open for possible condensation drainage so was hesitant about adding more caulking. Finally, out of frustration. I went out and stood watching the area during a fairly heavy downpour. What I saw was the water running off the top of the slide started down the side of the slide in a steady stream and, for no noticeable reason, suddenly made a sharp turn towards the window, hitting the frame near where the caulking ended. After things dried out, I extended the caulking around the bottom curves of the frame, leaving 3/4ths of the bottom open. No more leaking...so, don't dismiss the possibility of the leak occurring if you see some caulking.