Awning Tie Downs

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
For the ground anchors, we use The Claw. EZ to drive into the ground and with the angle nails, doesn't pull out of the ground. They are super great in sandy soil.

Lynn1130

The only other damage was that it took several washings to get my shorts back to normal.

Burned in the fire pit.

Dust Devils reach 75 mph. One rearranged the Spanish tiles on my roof one afternoon.

I have found that there is not much that will hold the awning solid for any length of time. The wind action on whatever it is you have in the ground will work it loose.

Mark-Roberta 051995

For the ground anchors, we use The Claw. EZ to drive into the ground and with the angle nails, doesn't pull out of the ground. They are super great in sandy soil.

We have had a set of these for about 13 years. I ended up breaking one of the arms due to the spike was stuck in a tree root. Yea yea - I hammered that spike right through a root but could not get it back out. I called the company and I ordered just the one leg that broke. It was free shipping and had it within 3 days

With all this in mind of high winds - we still roll ours up as it was previously mentioned, when the fabric starts whipping good something might give and I do not want to replace another awning.

wdk450

I did some websearching on "RV Electric Awning Wind Closure Switch" and found a page of useful information.

Lippert, Carefree of Colorado and others seem to have a device for this.

There was another RV forum in the hits that had a full page on upgrading existing awnings: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=112425.0

Last of all, I REALLY like WeatherUnderground.com and their very local detailed weather forecasts. Check out the continuous wind speed and direction graphs on the 10 day forecasts, or the chart data in the hourly forecasts.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I normally tie down my awning. I found 2 nylon rope sets with a pully and metal hooks with rubber on the hooks so as not to scar the awning. Only had one situation at Cherry Hill RV Park in College Park, Maryland to go to Washington DC. The park has a warning taped to the counter to NEVER leave your trailer with the awning out unattended. I had my awning tied down to a dog anchor and only had room to tie the other side to a picnic bench. To make the story short, when I got back to the trailer the awning fabric was ripped off, the dog anchor was pulled out of the ground and the picnic table was turned over. Fortunately it did not damage my trailer. So now I check the weather before I leave and take it down if it looks bad.

FWIW
BC

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Someone posted on FB the sin of leaving their awning out while gone...bye, bye awning!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark-Roberta 051995

Here is the Facebook post from Ron Stacy

awning.JPG

While we were out purchasing our new to us tow vehicle, a severe thunderstorm blew threw with winds strong enough to shake the nearby Walmart where our daughter works. Unfortunately, we were uncharacteristically lax in bringing our awning when we left. The wind flipped it up over the roof. Thankfully there was no damage to the coach except the screw holes. The awning appears to be okay, just the framework wrecked.

travelin2

I did some websearching on "RV Electric Awning Wind Closure Switch" and found a page of useful information.

Lippert, Carefree of Colorado and others seem to have a device for this.

Switch is not reliable against any sudden or unpredictable wind gust IMO.
Case in point...our MH neighbor in Texas last winter lost his awning in a sudden burst of wind. They were literally 100’ away talking to neighbors when they heard the crunch. When I asked he said the MH had said switch but evidently it couldn’t react fast enough

Chippendale

Switch is not reliable against any sudden or unpredictable wind gust IMO.
Case in point...our MH neighbor in Texas last winter lost his awning in a sudden burst of wind. They were literally 100’ away talking to neighbors when they heard the crunch. When I asked he said the MH had said switch but evidently it couldn’t react fast enough

Lyle, I think there are sometimes that wind damage just can't be avoided. I know in the incident I mentioned when we were siting under the awning, and one only (as best I can remember) strong gust of wind came along and sent two 5 gallon buckets of water sailing through the air. Based on what the wind was at that time, there was no reason to think a gust like that would happen. That said, I always try and raise my awning when leaving and before going to bed. I guess it is some times just luck .... bad! But with electric awnings, it is no big deal to raise them like in the old days.

travelin2

Lyle, I think there are sometimes that wind damage just can't be avoided. I know in the incident I mentioned when we were siting under the awning, and one only (as best I can remember) strong gust of wind came along and sent two 5 gallon buckets of water sailing through the air. Based on what the wind was at that time, there was no reason to think a gust like that would happen. That said, I always try and raise my awning when leaving and before going to bed. I guess it is some times just luck .... bad! But with electric awnings, it is no big deal to raise them like in the old days.

That’s for sure. Better safe than sorry

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Some folks in the park we are at lost their awning two nights ago due to two storms colliding at around midnight. The swirling 60mph + winds woke me up. They had theirs tied down and it was also one of the manual old style heavier built awnings. These new flimsy automatic awning are sure nice, if and when you can actually use them.

travelin2

These new flimsy automatic awning are sure nice, if and when you can actually use them.

Yeah!! We recently returned from a 4 1/2 month trip. I should’ve kept track but if we had our awning deployed more than 2 dozen times I’d be surprised, Certainly didn’t have it out while unattended.