Lippert awning extends while driving down the road

DRBrown

I have a Lippert Solera electric awning on my 2019 Sundance that likes to open on its own while driving down the road. On the 1.5 hour drive home from the lake I had to stop twice to close the (power) awning. The LED tape also comes out but I think that's just going to get a couple dabs of silicone.
Does anyone know of a retainer kit for this style awning. I've checked Lipperts website to no avail. I know they make them for roller style awnings but those won't really work. Tempted to rivet some velcro strips to the awning frame to hold it closed. Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Daniel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

NP_Chief

I would call Lippert for sure... In the meantime, a bungee cord around each arm and velcro around the awning itself should keep it from coming out.

DRBrown

I would call Lippert for sure... In the meantime, a bungee cord around each arm and velcro around the awning itself should keep it from coming out.
Yeah, nothing really to attach it to. Need to call Lippert still and see if they have a fix. I'll post up if I find anything.

ChadGnad

The motor should be geared to prevent movement when not powered or a brake that is internal, either way not much you can do about the motor, but replace. They do make lock clasps, as described in the owners manual https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/manuals/awnings/ccd_0001369.pdf

Are you sure there is not a short causing the arm to 'power out' while driving, may pull the fuse to see if that keeps it in place.

I am sensitive to this, I had a manual version with a spring, the friction joint connection broke going down the interstate and the awning tried to roll over the roof. It took ALOT of duct tape to hold it down...I am sure it was a sight for someone going down the road.

DRBrown

Lou_and_Bette

DR, we had an awning that didn't "automatically" dump and caused one of the arms to be destroyed while we were visiting our good friends, Mike and Donna Tinklin, in Canada, I removed some of the damaged portions of the arm and needed a way to secure the rolled up awning to the coach. Like you, there seemed no way of getting a tie-down around the mechanism. I finally loosened the screws holding the main arm to the side of the coach, not the top rail but the vertical mounting bracket, enough that I could slip something behind them. I used heavy duty zip ties since I wasn't going to be able to use the awning until I fixed the arm so didn't need something that could be loosened. You could slip one, or more, of those balled tarp ties behind the rail, tighten the rail screws back down and secure your awning that way. The tie downs don't need to be around the awning itself, one, or more, can be near the top of the bracket and hold the arm against the camper. You could use some other kind of strap if you didn't want to use those tarp ties and the flatter they are, the better. Just make them easy to hook and unhook.

esscobra

you could also drill thru side arm into rail attached to sidewall and put pin or screw in it- that what I did on previous trailer - used locking pins

DRBrown

you could also drill thru side arm into rail attached to sidewall and put pin or screw in it- that what I did on previous trailer - used locking pins
That is a really good idea. Just get one of those pins with the push button detent ball in it.
Perfect, thanks!

DRBrown

DR, we had an awning that didn't "automatically" dump and caused one of the arms to be destroyed while we were visiting our good friends, Mike and Donna Tinklin, in Canada, I removed some of the damaged portions of the arm and needed a way to secure the rolled up awning to the coach. Like you, there seemed no way of getting a tie-down around the mechanism. I finally loosened the screws holding the main arm to the side of the coach, not the top rail but the vertical mounting bracket, enough that I could slip something behind them. I used heavy duty zip ties since I wasn't going to be able to use the awning until I fixed the arm so didn't need something that could be loosened. You could slip one, or more, of those balled tarp ties behind the rail, tighten the rail screws back down and secure your awning that way. The tie downs don't need to be around the awning itself, one, or more, can be near the top of the bracket and hold the arm against the camper. You could use some other kind of strap if you didn't want to use those tarp ties and the flatter they are, the better. Just make them easy to hook and unhook.
So, temporarily, this has been my solution. Off the shelf Velcro strap from Ace hardware. One on each arm.

Long term, a case study was opened with Lippert to figure it out, apparently this is not the first time it has happened. Trailer was taken to See Grins RV in gilroy, CA for diagnosing where it was found that the locking mechanism in the motor that is supposed to keep the awning from deploying is not functioning. The awning motor is being replaced under warranty which, hopefully, fixes the problem.

As for the water leak in the underbelly and the air conditioner that sounds like a garbage disposal, those problems are ongoing.
75781998eac80337e0c46da4dd19d9dd.jpg

DRBrown

As to the Air Conditioner noise, if their aren't any problems found with the unit, you may want to "invest" in one of these add-on air conditioner noise reducers. Yes, they are pricey, but they really reduce AC noise by more than 1/2, and makes RV life much more tolerable in hot climates:
https://wackoproducts.com/?gclid=Cj...cgmgQnaBmdD6sSeJT6jEZGinuJfm7V0kaAnqeEALw_wcB
I'll try one of those, thanks! Although the source of the noise is actually outside. I've actually been asked to turn my AC off when we were camping next to some people, and they were running both of their ac units. It sounds like the condenser fan bearing is dying but it only happens after the AC has been running a very long time. Which, unfortunately makes it hard to diagnose for the warranty guys. I've started carrying a ladder so hopefully I can take the cover off and pinpoint the source of the noise and get a video to send to Heartland.

Lou_and_Bette

I'll try one of those, thanks! Although the source of the noise is actually outside. I've actually been asked to turn my AC off when we were camping next to some people, and they were running both of their ac units. It sounds like the condenser fan bearing is dying but it only happens after the AC has been running a very long time. Which, unfortunately makes it hard to diagnose for the warranty guys. I've started carrying a ladder so hopefully I can take the cover off and pinpoint the source of the noise and get a video to send to Heartland.

DR, one of my AC’s started making a terrible noise and I thought replacement was in my future. Luckily, we were parked on our daughter’s property so I didn’t have to worry about the neighbors and could take my time investigating. What I eventually found was a section of the copper tubing was rattling against the frame of the AC. There was a length of copper tubing that was raising straight up from the main mechanism and was crimped on the end. This was the culprit. Once I moved it away from the frame, the noise stopped. This noise was of the character that I thought a bearing was going bad. Don’t know if this is your problem but worth a look. At first, when I removed my shroud, there was no noise. Put the shroud back on, noise started again. So, check for this piece of tubing, even if noise isn’t there with shroud off, and move it slightly. Could be a cheap fix. Good luck.