Pin box bolts

CoveredWagon

Just found 2 bolts attaching the factory installed MorRyde pin box to be only finger tight and 1 bolt barley torqued. There is no way these bolts could have loosened. The problem is, it’s a little hard to get a wrench on the nuts on these bolts. Someone didn’t do their job.

There’s always something to be checking.

mlpeloquin

Just found 2 bolts attaching the factory installed MorRyde pin box to be only finger tight and 1 bolt barley torqued. There is no way these bolts could have loosened. The problem is, it’s a little hard to get a wrench on the nuts on these bolts. Someone didn’t do their job.

There’s always something to be checking.

Yes you have to check them. They are a bit of a pain to get to, but do torque them properly. Bolts that have been gunned on, ether under or over torqued, can loosen up. I have learned to not trust anything that has been put on with an air gun. I removed the stock pin box on my Big Born and replaced it with a TrailAir FlexAir pin box. The bolts can be gotten to inside, but what a pain!

CDN

B and B

Hello,

I would replace all bolts, nuts and lock-washers if it is loosening as the washer is deformed and threads stretched out.

Brian

orion7144

On our new BH I founds 2 bolts on one side I could not torque correctly (one was sticking out not tight at all). At the rally I showed LCI and they gave me all new bolts, washers, and lock washers. Upon inspection while changing the bolts it looks like they screwed the bolts in since the holes did not line up hence damaging the threads (8 of the 10 bolts showed sings of wear on the threads). I changed all the bolts with the help of Dave and got the holes lined up. LCI tech mentioned that the MorRyde pin box on the BH's are installed by Heartland. Not sure if that is correct or not.

CoveredWagon

On our new BH I founds 2 bolts on one side I could not torque correctly (one was sticking out not tight at all). At the rally I showed LCI and they gave me all new bolts, washers, and lock washers. Upon inspection while changing the bolts it looks like they screwed the bolts in since the holes did not line up hence damaging the threads (8 of the 10 bolts showed sings of wear on the threads). I changed all the bolts with the help of Dave and got the holes lined up. LCI tech mentioned that the MorRyde pin box on the BH's are installed by Heartland. Not sure if that is correct or not.

Since the MorRyde pin boxes are an option (at least it was when I ordered ours) I have to believe he is correct.

CDN

B and B
I torque my pin box once a season, have never found it loose. One thing I have to be vilagent about is the Reese sidewinder torque. That gets checked a couple times a season.

sengli

When I installed my morryde pin box, I too found the nuts hard to get to from the inside. Went out and bought a box end type wrench just for this job. Seems as if the bolts were torqued to 140ft lbs.

orion7144

When I installed my morryde pin box, I too found the nuts hard to get to from the inside. Went out and bought a box end type wrench just for this job. Seems as if the bolts were torqued to 140ft lbs.

LCI at the rally said 110'lbs so maybe I need to investigate some more

danemayer

LIP Sheet 166 says:

"3. Pinbox mounting bolts should be torqued 90 - 110 ft. lb. and checked annually."​

CDN

B and B

I have a offset box end wrench from 1945 I use for tis as well, can not kill a Craftsman Wrench set.

WillyBill

I replaced all of my bolts with grade 8 bolts n nuts, plus hardened steel washers with teeth on one side. Have to buy at a bolt supply store-usually used for frames, etc. On the nuts I used metal self lock nuts (also known as ovalated). On my Flex Air Pin Box I was able to use an extra bolt on each side so have a total of ten now. Cheap insurance IMHO.

WB

MTPockets

We travelled a lot, full time nearly five years and checked torque on our MorRyde pin box bolts several times/year. Usually found one, two or more bolts under torque. Same with axle U-bolts... so, check regularly to be safe.

wdk450

At one point in time when I decided to check the torque on the pinbox bolts/nuts, I reversed the bolt/nut directions so that the bolt heads are on the INSIDE of the pinbox, enabling me to put the torque wrench easily on the exposed nuts on the OUTSIDE of the pinbox. A holding combination wrench goes on the bolt heads on the INSIDE of the pinbox.

pday1213

Would someone be able to tell me the wrench size for the bolt and nut that I would need to use on the MorRyde Pin so that I can check our torque? Have a 2019 Landmark.

Thanks

orion7144

Would someone be able to tell me the wrench size for the bolt and nut that I would need to use on the MorRyde Pin so that I can check our torque? Have a 2019 Landmark.

Thanks

I am pretty sure they are 15/16 same size as the bolts on my Andersen hitch

Alan_B

When I installed the MORryde pin box on the Bighorn, I torqued the bolts to the proper spec. Then I used a silver marker to add ‘witness’ marks on the bolt heads. See attached photo. Every time I hook up the fifth wheel I glance at the marks.
02B5B570-74F5-4D8B-8364-0C8F5A7E23A2.jpg