Broken spring hanger and cracked frame

MissileMech

I started cleaning the rig up for a trip next week and found this on the drivers side rear.

Hanger failed weld.jpg

Broken frame.jpg

I took it to my local shop and their welder was between tasks so 2 hrs later I drove away with a cross-bar support and fixed frame. The welder told me it is very common for RV's/Travel trailers to break rear spring hangers because the light weight materials used. It seems to me adding cross bars at the factory would be cheap, but it would be better to add doublers to the frame and heavier gage hangers in the first place. I found a plethora of threads online with the same issues for low and high end trailers.

danemayer

Dave,

Recently we've seen quite a few broken hanger posts like yours. But I don't recall seeing this in prior years where the same materials were used. That leads me to think that Lippert has some kind of materials problem.

I'm glad you were able to get it fixed before your trip.

hoefler

It is from turning and the hangers being so long, they all need to have gussetc or steel welded between them.

It seems to be a common and recurring problem with Lippert built frames.... Mine broke even worse on a trip to Yellowstone from Colorado in July 2023 (I purchased my camper in May 2021 brand-new).

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg