Generator trips breaker

We've successfully run 1 or 2 AC units with our generator, although today, everytime we try to turn on ONE AC unit, it trips the breaker and turns off. What's going on?? There is nothing else running or plugged in... it's odd.

Cyclone 4200 2018

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

danemayer

What breaker is tripping? 20 amp in the main circuit breaker panel? 15 amp in the main circuit breaker panel? 50 amp pair in the main circuit breaker panel? One of the breakers on the generator? ????

danemayer

Is the water heater running on electric?

Residential refrigerator will try to run on 120V AC while on generator. Turn off the circuit breaker for the refrigerator and it'll switch to battery power as long as the inverter is turned on. Doing so will increase 120V consumption by the Power Converter, but the batteries will probably level out the power demand from the refrigerator.

asherwin

I had the same issue with my 20A breaker on the generator tripping. It turned out to be a weakened breaker. Replaced it and problem went away.

porthole

Retired
Will give it all a try, thank you!!

Replace the 20 with a 30. No reason why some of them are still equipped with the 20.

Per the Onan engineers at the 2017 Goshen rally the 30/20 breaker arrangement was a holdover from the the early motorhome days.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Will give it all a try, thank you!!

Like porthole said replace the 20 with a 30. Some of them came with 2 - 30s and some like ours had 1 -2amp and 1 -30amp. The wires on the back of the breakers are exactly the same. I called Onan and ordered a new 30. The shipping was more then the cost of the Breaker.

Here is the link to my thread: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=481847&viewfull=1#post481847

Hope this helps
Jerrod