Awning LED's not all working

GregD904

Hello,

I discovered after bring my camper, a 2019 Heartland Prowler Lynx 25LX, home the awning lights did not work completely. I reached out to Camping World, (where we bought it from) and they said they had seen the LED strip in some awnings defective in other campers.

I have an appointment scheduled to have this fixed, but I am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue with a similar camper? Any tips or tricks i should mention to the repair center?

Thank you,
Greg

NP_Chief

In most cases, there is a two step process to turn on the awning lights. First the switch inside the door (usually closest to the door) and then the remote.

mlpeloquin

It is under warranty, so let them fix it. But I would have call Heartland with my vin number and explained that the strip has leds that do not light up and some that do. They would have sent a replacement. Easy to change out. It took about a half hour, and you do have to send the old strip back. At least that is the way it was when mine went out under warranty. The only potential problem in all of this for you is "Camping World". Note that the replacement strip burned out about another year later and I replaced it with a cheep led strip purchased form ebay. So far much brighter and has not failed. Go figure.

GregD904

It is under warranty, so let them fix it. But I would have call Heartland with my vin number and explained that the strip has leds that do not light up and some that do. They would have sent a replacement. Easy to change out. It took about a half hour, and you do have to send the old strip back. At least that is the way it was when mine went out under warranty. The only potential problem in all of this for you is "Camping World". Note that the replacement strip burned out about another year later and I replaced it with a cheep led strip purchased form ebay. So far much brighter and has not failed. Go figure.

Thank you for the information, this is helpful. Yeah I will try this.

Now did you order the strip and replace it yourself? What kind of tools did you use if you did?

I will not go back to camping world, I have it scheduled to be serviced elsewhere.

mlpeloquin

Used one needle nose pliers, ladder, my hands, and a wire cutters. My LED strip sets in a track and do not use the adhesive strip if yours does. If you get it from Heartland, then you may not need to cut to length. My LED strip used rubber stops to keep it from sliding in and out. Must remove them and pull the wiring out to expose the twist connectors. Slide the old one out and be careful when sliding the new one in. Slowly insert and work it in. Won't take long. If needed, cut it to length where it is indicated that it is safe to do so. Reconnect the 12V power and insert the rubber stoppers. I used the needle nose pliers to remove the stoppers.

GregD904

Used one needle nose pliers, ladder, my hands, and a wire cutters. If you get it from Heartland, then you may not need to cut to length. My LED strip used rubber stops to keep it from sliding in and out. Must remove them and pull the wiring out to expose the twist connectors. Slide the old one out and be careful when sliding the new one in. Slowly insert and work it in. Won't take long. If needed, cut it to length where it is indicated that it is safe to do so. Reconnect the 12V power and insert the rubber stoppers. I used the needle nose pliers to remove the stoppers.

Thank you for the advice! This is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

mlpeloquin

If it is under warranty, then yes call Heartland with your vin number. You will need to send the old LED strip back to them. At least that is what they required when I did mine the first time. Don't order it until you are ready, because I think Heartland wants the bad strip within a reasonable amount of time. Call and check with them.

GregD904

If it is under warranty, then yes call Heartland with your vin number. You will need to send the old LED strip back to them. At least that is what they required when I did mine the first time. Don't order it until you are ready, because I think Heartland wants the bad strip within a reasonable amount of time. Call and check with them.

Thanks for the info, I will do that.

Sent from my iPhone

pegmikef

They replaced mine on our Big Horn in 2017 as one of the two jobs they will do for you free at the National HOC Rallies. Probably took them ten minutes. Pulled old strip off, put new strip on and attached the wires. Next time I will just do it myself.

GregD904

Good to know. Not sure when I’ll make a HOC rally but I want to get this replaced this spring.

Did it take 2 or 3 people to do? Any tips or tricks?

Sent from my iPhone

jbeletti

Good to know. Not sure when I’ll make a HOC rally but I want to get this replaced this spring.

Did it take 2 or 3 people to do? Any tips or tricks?

Sent from my iPhone

Note that Mike's was replaced at the national rally. Next one is June 2021 in Goshen, IN. Work like this is not done at chapter or region rallies.

mlpeloquin

Read post #5. I did it myself in twenty minuets. You have to be careful when pushing/pulling the LED strip into the channel. Other than that it is a simple job. Two people and two ladders would speed things up when inserting the new LED strip.

GregD904

Read post #5. I did it myself in twenty minuets. You have to be careful when pushing/pulling the LED strip into the channel. Other than that it is a simple job. Two people and two ladders would speed things up when inserting the new LED strip.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone