Can't get hitch off the ball!

I moved my m27 from the front yard to the side yard. Noticed I had to level the trailer
with one of those plastic blocks.
When I went to unhitch the trailer and I could not get the hitch off the ball. I have tried the following.

1.) Pulled up and back on the lock lever, lowered and raised the hitch by using the hand crank many times.
2.) Jumped up and down on the bumper of my Titan
3.) Pulled forward and reverse about 1/2 inch a few times.
4.) Applied wd40 to ball and lever.
5.) tapped hitch with hammer.
My sense is that I may have to hand crank the hitch so most of the weight is on the ground and release
my hitch pin and slowly pull forward.

Any other comments or suggestions much appreciated!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Make sure the lock lever is actually engaging the piece inside the hitch and pulling it away from the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

Do you have a good solid base under your front tongue jack? Are you able to raise it high enough? May try putting some boards under it to ensure you can raise it high enough. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

If it's a surge break chalk the tire and roll forward to disengage it. On my boat trailer it had to be done straight.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

CCH

We had one that was a killer to disconnect, but these steps made it easy:

1. Chock the trailer wheels
2. Watch the ball mount where it goes into the receiver. When the trailer is bearing down on it there will be a slight gap between the top of the ball mount and the receiver. As you crank the tongue up, that gap will disappear as the tongue begins to lift the truck. Lower the jack until all the weight is on the ball and the gap is as wide as it gets. Crank it up until the gap just starts to close and that is your neutral spot where it will open easiest.
3. If it still won’t unhook, have someone very, very gently back the truck up just a bit so the ball is pressing against the back of the socket (your wheels have to be chocked in both directions) and then let the truck roll forward and as you pull on the release lever it will pop up for you.

Gaffer

Find your neutral position as mentioned above then raise the tounge a bit. Then use this

dewalt-wrecking-pry-bars-dwht55132-64_1000.jpg

MTPockets

After chocking the trailer wheels get in tow vehicle with brakes off, put into neutral then lock parking brake. This will relieve any pressure on the ball.

Hi,
tried to put TV in neutral to relieve tension, but did not work. Reversed the TV ever so slightly, but was not
able to move the ball to the rear of the hitch. Hitch lever is fully retracted. I made sure the trailer was chocked in
both directions. All that is happening, is my truck bumper is raising several inches. I was able to jump up and down on the bumper, could hear the ball making contact with the hitch.
I have about 4 hours trying to get this undone. My sense is the only way is to pull the pin from the 2 inch bar in the
TV and pull forward. I just don't want to do any damage to the TV or the trailer. So would I crank up the jack just until
it has contact with the ground/wooden block and try this? Or crack up a bit further?
Yes all supports are fully retracted.

thanks for your suggestions.

farside291

Is it a receiver hitch? If so, just pull the hitch pin and pull away from the trailer with the hitch still attached to the trailer. If not, take the big nut of the ball and lift the ball off the bumper. Maybe something broke inside the hitch causing it not to release.

jnbhobe

Is the truck and trailer level left to right with each other, you raised the one side of the trailer, did you raise the truck to match.

Hi Patti and Jon

that is a good point, I did not raise the side of the truck to match the trailer.
thanks,
Michael

looks like I will have to take out the pin on the reciever hitch and pull out.

Took Patti and Jon's advice and leveled the truck to be the same as the trailer, but unfortunately this would not
work. Took out the receiver pin and pulled ever so slightly and unfortunately, moved the entire trailer, chocks, and wooden block about 3 inches forward, yikes.

This is day number 3, time to call Good Sam Roadside assistance !

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Took Patti and Jon's advice and leveled the truck to be the same as the trailer, but unfortunately this would not
work. Took out the receiver pin and pulled ever so slightly and unfortunately, moved the entire trailer, chocks, and wooden block about 3 inches forward, yikes.

- - - Updated - - -

With everything level, the trailer tongue jack firmly down, pull the locking lever on the hitch up and back. Then look underneath at the "ball catch" to see if it's actually been moved away from the ball. You might try prying it back with a stout screwdriver to see that it actually moves. Only time I had difficulty with that type of hook up (a USAR trailer) was due to the lock not functioning properly and that piece sticking. Serious lube fixed it after I pried it loose.

GK2018

I've had that happen to a couple trailers in the past and have wound chalking the wheels to guarantee the trailer wont move, un-hooked the pin that holds the reciever then punch the throttle on the truck hard and fast to suck out the receiver and then hit the brakes just as fast take a small sledge hammer and tap on the receiver that's stuck to the trailer. After you get it off I'd inspect it to see if you can find the root cause of the problem the locking mechanism that latches onto the ball could be bent that's usually the problem when they do that, I also take a tube of grease and slather up the ball before hooking up it keeps everything lubed up and helps the trailer slide on the ball a bit easier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hi Greg,
I tried that, but with both wheels chocked with double sets, the entire trailer moved forward. The truck was dragging
the trailer, yikes.

How about the suggestion on taking off the large nut on the bottom of the ball? My
sense is that I would have to find
the spot where the weight is just starting to shift from the truck to the trailer jack. Good Sam would not honor
travel assist, they say the trailer is not damaged,:(

JohnDar

Hi Greg,
I tried that, but with both wheels chocked with double sets, the entire trailer moved forward. The truck was dragging
the trailer, yikes.

How about the suggestion on taking off the large nut on the bottom of the ball? My
sense is that I would have to find
the spot where the weight is just starting to shift from the truck to the trailer jack. Good Sam would not honor
travel assist, they say the trailer is not damaged,:(

Removing the nut that holds the ball on the receiver hitch would require jacking the trailer tongue high enough to lift the ball off. If you crib under the foot of the jack, you might get the height needed. Unless you can get the ball out of the tongue, only do this where you can leave the trailer until you get the problem solved as getting the ball reconnected might be like threading a needle. To me, it sounds like there is a definite problem with the tongue socket and the locking mechanism.

JohnDar

These may help you get an idea of what the mechanism is like. Pretty simple, but it can be a problem. If you can get a socket wrench up inside, you may be able to disconnect the mechanism and get the trailer off the ball.

Attachments

• Tongue Couple diagram.jpg
    Tongue Couple diagram.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Trailer Tongue Coupler .jpg
    Trailer Tongue Coupler .jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 33

GK2018

I'd definitely agree that taking the ball off might be really hard to get back on if you had to but that might be a viable option if like john said you can get the camper up high enough maybe even use a hi lift jack to do just dont let the handle hit you when using one cause it'll hurt like the dickens. Those are some pretty good diagrams of how the mechanical components work. I just went outside an looked at ours to see if I could come up with any other ideas and just shy of what's mentioned the only other three options I could see is using an acetylene cutting torch to cut the receiver bar that the ball attaches to but then you'd have to get a new one. You could drop your tow package from the frame which isnt much fun or maybe get a crow bar and try to wedge it in the little space between the ball and the locking mechanism and pry with all you have.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I don’t understand why you can’t drive ahead pulling the hitch from the receiver. There’s certainly enough play in mine.

Use bigger chocks or plug in the trailer cord and lock up the brakes as you pull forward a foot

Unless the OP isn’t legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk