Can't get hitch off the ball!

carl.swoyer

Thanks Greg,
today I am going to move the trailer back about 30 feet and reposition and see if this makes a difference. Hopefully Christine will
give me my truck back.:eek:
As I mentioned in my previous comments, my boat trailer has to be perfectly straight chalk the tire and pull forward to disengage the hitch. Good luck
Maybe a photo of the hitch

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

GK2018

Thanks Greg,
today I am going to move the trailer back about 30 feet and reposition and see if this makes a difference. Hopefully Christine will
give me my truck back.:eek:
Haha hopefully Christine gives it back to you! I'd sure be curious once you do get her off how you wound up doing it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looking at your earlier photos, two things come to mind. First, the hitch bar sticks in the receiver because the weight is still on the truck. The bottom of the hitch bar is tight to the bottom of the hitch opening. Adjust the level between the truck and trailer by slightly raising the trailer tongue until it lifts the bar slightly. Rather than WD-40, spray some silicone lube or even oil in there. On the tongue, I see you have pulled the locking lever back, but have you also lifted it up while in the rear position? I seem to recall that was necessary on some of my bumper pull devices that it was necessary to fully unlock the coupler. Lastly, with everything unlocked and level, slip a crowbar between the hitch and the bottom of the ball socket and try prying it up. It just does not make sense that the ball could get jammed so tightly that it won't come out.

carl.swoyer

It might be easier to undo the balls nut with it in tow mode (trailer jack all the way down) so the trailer isnt pulling upward as your loosening the nut up. I would use a pipe wrench on the nut and a crescent wrench above the nut to keep the ball from potentially spinning as you loosen the nut I attached a picture with arrows showing where I'd put the pipe wrench and crescent wrench as you loosen it up.
bdf3da74b974646a936602eb4b1c099b.jpg

I see that the lock lever is down have you tried to lift it up and unlock it?

Haha Christine gives it back to you! I'd sure be curious once you do get her off how you wound up doing it.

Thanks to all for the comments!, My wife is the controller at 4 wheel camper in Woodland, and the production manager did us a favor and
came by to look at the problem. I was worried about damaging my new truck/ trailer, so I was worried about using a crow bar. The manager,
got the ball off the truck in about 2 minutes using a crow bar, relief I have my truck back. Will grease up the ball, so this hopefully does
not happen again.:):)

JohnDar

I see that the lock lever is down have you tried to lift it up and unlock it?

Good question. On the ones I’ve had you had to slide the lock lever back then lift it up to actually release it. Doing so gets it past the safety lock in the drawing I posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GK2018

Thanks to all for the comments!, My wife is the controller at 4 wheel camper in Woodland, and the production manager did us a favor and
came by to look at the problem. I was worried about damaging my new truck/ trailer, so I was worried about using a crow bar. The manager,
got the ball off the truck in about 2 minutes using a crow bar, relief I have my truck back. Will grease up the ball, so this hopefully does
That's awesome! So glad to hear you finally got ol christine off there! Lol

JohnDar

Now you need to figure out why it got so stuck in the first place.

CCH

Now that it’s off, is it a 2” ball or a 2-5/16” ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

I was chided on an earlier problem that these rigs required a 2 5/16” ball. Who knows maybe he got a 3”ball instead (they make them). Wiuld have been kinda hard to jam a larger ball into the coupler, but who knows? (The Shadow do)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

I believe if the OP was trying to pull up on the safety latch at the same time he was trying to raise the tongue the, latch won't release all the way. Like I said, best I remember