Antifreeze going into water heater

Steve WV

I have a new Bighorn 3370. We just got back from are shake out trip. I blew the water out of the lines first. Then I went to winterize with antifreeze and I'm getting antifreeze in the water heater. I had the water heater empty and the anode rod was out. I had the bypass valve set on the water heater to bypass. The winterize valve was set to winterize. I thought to myself this was going to be easy(wrong). I put the line into the antifreeze and went inside and turned on the pump and came back out side when I heard water running out on the ground. Antifreeze was coming out of the water heater drain. I pulled the access panel off the back of the docking station for a closer look. After looking at the plumbing I don't see how these 2 valves can keep the antifreeze from flowing into the water heater from the top of the tank(hot water out from the tank). What I'm I doing wrong? Any suggestions.

Thanks Steve

davebennington

Steve

There are 3 valves that have to be turned in order to bypass the hot water heater. The first is a valve that goes to the heater by turning this it routes the water to the bypass line then the one in the bypass line must be turned to route it to the line coming from the heater and the last is the one coming from the heater to the coach.

In addition you now should flush the heater out with water to rid it of any antifreeze else from what I understand it will coat the heater with a slime and you will get a smell when it heats up.

If you have any more problems/questions PM me and we can help.

Dave

Steve WV

Dave,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I figured out the problem. There's a check valve on the outlet side of the water heater. I took it out and the rubber seal was off the valve. After I put it back together and tried it again, it blew the seal off again when I turned the pump on. It seems to me there should be some sort of stop on the back side of the check valve to hold pressure. I'm going to contact my dealer and see if they can get me a new valve
Thanks Steve