Buying NT 29BHP Caliber and have questions

rpoplin

We are purchasing a 2019 North Trail 29BHP Caliber Edition and have a few questions.
The specs state the following:
CALIBER EDITION FRONT CAP 15000 A/C 50 AMP SERVICE 2ND A/C PREP - Does this mean the main power connection is 50amp or is it still 30amp? Purchasing Surge / EMS system and trying to determine the correct model to purchase.

WIDE-TRAX axle - Will XTENDED X-CHOCK fit?
Queen Bed - If I want to replace with a mattress from home will it fit? I know it adds weight and I believe 2" in length.

15K A/C Upgrade - I live in San Antonio Texas and I am not sure if the second A/C unit is needed or if this will be plenty. If a second unit is needed, do I ask dealership to install or is it a DIY?
Bike Rack - Does the tire position change or when down is close to the ground?
Outdoor Grill - This model comes with one and it's currently stored under master bed. After first use where would you store it? I don't think master room cause it would then smell like cooked food.

Thanks for any input or guidance you can help with. So excited about our trailer we are picking up in 12 days.

danemayer

Hi rpoplin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

"15000 A/C 50 AMP SERVICE 2ND A/C PREP."

I think you're reading it correctly. The trailer has 50 amp service and comes with a 15000 BTU Air Conditioner.

BUT looking at the Heartland website, for the NT 29BHP it seems to say 30 amp service, so I'm not sure we're looking at the same information.

Do you have a link to where it says 50 amp service on this model?

NYSUPstater

Pester your salesman to find out. That's their job. Our last coach (35') had 1 15k A/C on 30 Amp power. Was ok, but she worked a decent amount at times and we live in NY. New coach (41') in sig has 2 A/C's on 50 Amp and we love it. Now some offer 3 A/C's....whew! Anyways, if it were me/us, get the 2nd A/C, but again, have the sales folks do the diggin' and tell them you want to get some items in advance so you're ready to rock/roll once you get it. Plus, tell them you want to get the RIGHT items!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have a 2016 32BUDS NT with 2 ac and 50 amp service in Iowa. Do yourself a favor and get the 2nd ac since you live in texas. You will be more comfortable and also have the option of choosing which ac to run at night or at times when you want a bit less noise.

rpoplin

Found out it’s a 30amp but ready for 50amp with second a/c. I’ll add second a/c this winter.

Is the bumper grill a grill or 2 burners?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Found out it’s a 30amp but ready for 50amp with second a/c. I’ll add second a/c this winter.

Is the bumper grill a grill or 2 burners?

What does 30amp but ready for 50 amp mean?

shouldn't it be either wired for 50 amp or wired for 30amp service? Converting from 30 to 50 amp service could be costly.

danemayer

Not sure "30amp but ready for 50amp" makes sense. To be 50 amp, the trailer would need a 50 amp breaker box, internal wiring to the breaker box rated for 50 amp, a 50 amp plug on the side of the trailer, a 50 amp shore power cord.

If the trailer comes with a 30 amp plug on the side and a 30 amp shore power cord, it's very likely the internal wiring and breaker panel are also 30 amp.

Also, 30 amp breaker panels often are a combination unit that includes the 12V DC fuse box and the Power Converter. Upgrading to 50 amp means replacing the combo unit with a 50 amp breaker panel, a 12V fuse box and a new Power Converter.

Sounds like you need to get more clarification.

rpoplin

The Manufacturers MSRP sheet says
  • 15K A/C Upgrade
  • 50 Amp Service w/2ND AC Prep

Yet when I called salesman, he stated that it’s a 30 amp connection.
I placed a call into Heartland to get clarification and verification that the spec sheet is correct and information is on the up and up. I agree it doesn’t sound correct and being this is my first TT purchase I am a little naive. Will report back.

danemayer

• 15K A/C Upgrade

The "Manufacturers MSRP sheet" may actually be something created by the dealership.

NYSUPstater

Sounds like the main A/C unit can be upgraded to a 15k and as well at time of order only that 50amp service would be upgraded over standard 30amp. But overall, IMO, do believe it would come thru w/ 30 amp as standard. If you want 50amp & 2nd A/C, it' has to be ordered as such.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
  • 15K A/C Upgrade

I placed a call into Heartland to get clarification and verification that the spec sheet is correct and information is on the up and up. I agree it doesn’t sound correct and being this is my first TT purchase I am a little naive. Will report back.

That sounds more like it.

I had to order my NT with 50 Amp service and also ordered the 15K A/C upgrade and also had the 2nd AC installed at factory rather than just prepped for installation later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Not sure "30amp but ready for 50amp" makes sense. To be 50 amp, the trailer would need a 50 amp breaker box, internal wiring to the breaker box rated for 50 amp, a 50 amp plug on the side of the trailer, a 50 amp shore power cord.

If the trailer comes with a 30 amp plug on the side and a 30 amp shore power cord, it's very likely the internal wiring and breaker panel are also 30 amp.

Also, 30 amp breaker panels often are a combination unit that includes the 12V DC fuse box and the Power Converter. Upgrading to 50 amp means replacing the combo unit with a 50 amp breaker panel, a 12V fuse box and a new Power Converter.

Sounds like you need to get more clarification.

While it is possible it is not likely to have a RV with the Breaker panel that is 30/50 amp upgradable.
The NT I have uses a breaker box rated and that could be wired for either 120/v 30 amp or 120/240v 50 amp(standard RV 50 Amp) service depending on the main breaker used and the main wiring bring power into the RV. Even if my RV was wired from factory for 30 amp, There still work be several hundred dollars of parts and labor to replace breakers and wiring to upgrade to 120/240 50 amp service. Only changes before the breaker and box would be necessary the convertor would not need to be replaced in my case. Wiring, External input, main 50 amp Breaker and flexible outdoor cable are main components in my case to replace..

However with the cost on the 30/50 amp combo box costs more and has a different configuration of the power convertor etc than is typically used in the NT so unlike with the penny pinching RV builders to use the more expensive breaker box.

rpoplin

I have verified it has a 15K A/C. Dealer swears its a 30 AMP connection.
Here is what my purchase agreement and MSRP Spec Sheet says
North Trail Kitchen Upgrades
North Trail Lightweight Package
Caliber Edition Package
Front Cap
15K A/C Upgrade
50 Amp Service w/2ND AC Prep
RVIA Seal

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have verified it has a 15K A/C. Dealer swears its a 30 AMP connection.
Here is what my purchase agreement and MSRP Spec Sheet says
North Trail Kitchen Upgrades
North Trail Lightweight Package
Caliber Edition Package
Front Cap
15K A/C Upgrade
50 Amp Service w/2ND AC Prep
RVIA Seal

Many travel trailers are 30 amp so salesperson could assume it is 30 amp or just not know how to identify.

Ok of it has 50 amp service it will come with a heavier duty 4 wire cable to plug in and the circuit breaker box will contain a pair of 50 amp circuit breakers tied to trip together. It should also then have the 2nd ac prep which is wiring and maybe circuit breaker marked for the 2nd ac.

An Easy way to identify would be for salesperson to snap photo of circuit breaker panel and send to you.
Post photo here and we could help identify.

NYSUPstater

Many travel trailers are 30 amp so salesperson could assume it is 30 amp or just not know how to identify.

Ok of it has 50 amp service it will come with a heavier duty 4 wire cable to plug in and the circuit breaker box will contain a pair of 50 amp circuit breakers tied to trip together. It should also then have the 2nd ac prep which is wiring and maybe circuit breaker marked for the 2nd ac.

An Easy way to identify would be for salesperson to snap photo of circuit breaker panel and send to you.
Post photo here and we could help identify.

Or just snap a pic of where the power cord attaches to the RV. 3 pins/30 amps. 4 pins/50 amps

rpoplin

Ok finally called and found out it is a 50 Amp circuit. Which his great BUT... I purchased a EMS unit for a 30 Amp.
Thanks for all your help and if only the salesman would have informed me correctly I wouldn't have had ask lol

CruzTerri

I realize that you've got it figured out but when I read the initial info, I determined that the unit comes with a 15K a/c unit and is 50 AMP because it has a 2nd A/C prep (A/C purchase/installation additional).

It's because of the additional a/c prep that it's already been upgraded to 50 AMP for you.