39fl

NCgirl

Hot water heater has a smell, its coming from my vent that leads to hot water heater. How to i take care of this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi NCgirl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

What kind of smell?

Is the vent inside the trailer? Possibly the air return for the furnace?

Does the water smell funny? If yes, could you describe the smell.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it’s a rotten egg smell outside near the cover, you may have a loose gas fitting. If the water at the tap smells like that, you may have bacteria growing in the water tank due to a depleted anode rod (unless you have an Atwood heater). One other remote possibility if the odor is only outside is the proximity of the sewer hose and the connections, especially when dumping. More info and description of the odor will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCgirl

Ok. So the hatch that leads to the compartment for storage is where the smell is. I took wall off and its coming from water heater. Its not a sulfur smell. We are in the hills of wv and the iron content in the water is terrible! A guy beside me says to wash out the hot water tank. The vent is inside im guess like a return. Im new to a 5rh wheel and heartland bighorn. Although ive not been impressed with my unit. Im new i didnt know what to look for yall! Example shower track put on backwards 1st shower i almost flooded my unit! So me being the redneck skilled girl i chalked the weep holes drilled new holes and ta-da im in business!

NCgirl

Its coming from the compartment for storage amd smell is coming in from return vent. Its not a rotten egg smell. My neighbor says wash out hot water heater as we are in a campground with high levels of iron. So im gonna rinse it out 1st.

danemayer

You didn't say anything about a "burning" type of smell. And it's not sulphur. I don't think I've ever heard of high iron content causing an odor.

If it smells like sewage or rotten food, it's probably not the water heater.

If your tanks are full, they can expand a bit and may release some odors. Don't go by the tank level sensors. They're almost useless.