Genesis GT-3 headphone use

Vergergc

Hi all,

I saw in 2015 this question came up and a couple ideas were kicked around, but that's a closed topic now.... I contacted Aridian (via Facebook) and there will be a cost to answer my questions (from offices in Pakistan), so I thought I might ask for more input in this group. I find headphones are essential in the confines of a camper of pretty much any size.

I've looked at the Genesis materials and thought I might just end up using the optical out (only option) on the TV, but that's not my first choice since it means buying a converter. Any knowledge of a solution to connecting headphones directly with the GT-3.0? I have not yet tried to access the back panel of the Genesis GT-3.0.

Seems the BT link that's offered is only for listening to smartphone audio through the Genesis unit. That's too bad.

Thanks very much!
Kent (Vergergc)

danemayer

Hi Kent,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It sounds like you're talking about TV audio to your headphones. If so, I'd suggest you check first to see if the TV audio is currently routed to the Genesis unit. In most cases, it is not. Unless you also want to route the TV audio through the Genesis, I'd suggest you get an optical converter and BlueTooth transmitter to send the TV audio to your headphones. Around $35 total.

Vergergc

Thanks for the quick reply! The TV audio does already go through the GT-3.0... in fact all audio goes through it. I did start out thinking exactly what you've proposed, but then thought the tone controls would be nice to have as well.

It just sort of floors me that there wouldn't be some provision for connecting headphones on such a powerful and full featured unit.

Kent

danemayer

Here's a snapshot from the manual showing what inputs and outputs are available. However, until you pull the unit to inspect, you won't know which are already in use.
Genesis3 wiring.JPG

Vergergc

Thanks, I have the manual and have looked this over. I guess I'm not sure either about which sort of connection will have the TV volume controlling the volume to the headphones... and what connection when made would cut-off the TV speakers sound. Even if a connection is already in use, I could get a splitter to allow it to feed more than one path.

With all this, it seemed getting audio from the GT-3.0 is better than from the optical out on the TV back panel - - but, I'm just guessing and hoped to find someone who's been through this and knows what course will give what results. I appreciate the efforts to point me to a suitable outcome. I just want something to happen that it wasn't designed to do, or there'd be an audio out on the front of it with all those other connections.

I guess my next step is to access the GT-3.0 rear panel. When you say pull the unit, do you suspect it's easier to remove from the front or just leave it in place and try to go in behind it?

Or, I can pay the fee to have the company tell me what's what. Trouble is, will they have a solution that's satisfactory and I'm happily using my headphones, or just tell me what I might have surmised and then they have my money, and I'm no better off?

Also, thanks for the kind welcome to the group!

Kent

danemayer

I would think it's easier to pull the unit out from the front. But perhaps on your trailer you can see a way to get to the back without doing so.

If taken out from the front, the bezel around the unit probably is just snapped into place. Once off, you'll probably need a #2 square bit driver to remove the screws holding the unit.

Vergergc

I would think it's easier to pull the unit out from the front. But perhaps on your trailer you can see a way to get to the back without doing so.

If taken out from the front, the bezel around the unit probably is just snapped into place. Once off, you'll probably need a #2 square bit driver to remove the screws holding the unit.

Thanks, Dan! I will pursue this soon and let the group know of my success or further struggles. I appreciate your time and efforts!

Cheers!
Kent

Vergergc

I have resolved the issue - I think. I ran out of battery power and lights before being able to test this.

Removed the unit on the front side to find that everything dangles a ways below the GT3 itself. There's some play in the cables, but I didn't want to hold it with one hand while trying to work through that "small" opening. So, I removed the lower cabinet (directly right of the GT3 at floor level) side and back walls to have easier access. Lo and behold, what was then staring me in the face but the R & L line level RCA output cables - not in use, with caps on them.

Believe me, there is a mess of wires and cable between the GT3 back panel, a subwoofer, and the TV when stowed below the desktop on my 2013 Flagstaff 5th wheel. I have connected them to a small Radio Shack amp input and this will give me a 1/4 inch headphone jack with volume and tone controls. My plan is to listen at night to headphones and shut off all three different speaker locations.

I understand the GT3 has been out of production for maybe 4-5 years. Anyone know what's being installed instead these days?

Until I located this forum (looking for Genesis info) I had not known of Heartland campers, even though the big names are noticed and seeing the smaller "by Heartland" is now common as I pay closer attention. We've had an Excel by Peterson (totaled by insurance this year) which we loved, and are now in the Flagstaff by Forest River. It seems to me that Heartlands are very nice and well made campers. Are they considered to be made for "four season" use?

Thanks,
Kent (Vergergc)

Vergergc

Well, it works like a charm. Of course the volume, EQ, etc. settings on the GT-3 are fed into the amp and heard in the headphones, but that's fine with me. At least I have a way to listen to headphones now. And I could replace the cable sort with a BT transmitter in the headphone jack and BT headphones instead.

Thanks for the fine assistance!
Kent (Vergergc)