Now a bent axle????

rhodies1

The BH270 gvwr is 7700. It came with 3500# axles, which I think is a mistake in the 1st place.

5200# was my next step, but the dealer said that was getting discontinued. 6k it is.

I would double check with Heartland. Never heard of a Bighorn with 3500 lbs axles. Each spring is rated for 3500 lbs and with 2 to an axle equal 7000 lbs. double check. I think you are going Backwards here.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I would double check with Heartland. Never heard of a Bighorn with 3500 lbs axles. Each spring is rated for 3500 lbs and with 2 to an axle equal 7000 lbs. double check. I think you are going Backwards here.

I believe a BH 270 is a Pioneer TT model not a Bighorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

A Pioneer BH270 travel trailer has a GVWR of 7,700 lbs. That's the max weight it's spec'd for, fully loaded, and that weight should never be exceeded.

Short of getting actual weights, you can estimate that 10-15% of the GVWR rests on the hitch and the remainder on the axles. So about 770-1105 lbs on the hitch and 6595 - 6930 lbs on the axles. A pair of 3500 lb axles should support 7,000 lbs. So there's not much margin, but your max allowable weight is less than the axle rating.

One potential problem is if you're not towing level. Towing nose high or nose low can shift the weight between axles, overloading one and perhaps exceeding the spec. But it seems more likely that you got an axle with weak metal. The dealer said no, but you should discuss with the axle manufacturer directly. They're the ones who say yes or no to the dealer. Depending on what the dealer showed them in the way of pictures or how they described the problem, could have influenced the answer.

Call the axle customer service directly. Have pictures ready that show each axle, so that the problem is clearly seen. Have pictures of the labels so they know exactly which axle you have and can probably trace back to a production run. If it's a metal problem, you're probably not the first to have a problem and they may look at the label and recognize the problem.

The dealer set us up on hitch alignment when we bought the trailer. Nothing changed there, and it's still level.

It also rarely travels with anything heavier than a 50% black tank and clothes for 3 people, so not sure how I could have overloaded it.

As far as calling Dexter, at some point I'm going to place a price on my time. It's guaranteed that by the time I chase them around and best case they agree to replace it, schedule at the approved service center will put this rig out of commission for the season.

I put in for 2 lippert 6k axles and five 6 lug trims at a local trailer parts dealer. I'll be doing this myself. I may regret it, like some other projects (a lifted big motor swap golf cart comes to mind). But I'll make it work.

I appreciate the inputs. Thanks.

I'm also not the person dexter and heartland will ever want to give my opinion on their products.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Since you bought the RV used, you'll be lucky to get any free parts from Lippert or Dexter, let alone any service charges paid for.

I've been down this road with them.

Find a good trailer axle shop near you and have them do the work.

Received 1st axle.

- - - Updated - - -

Got old one out.

- - - Updated - - -

New one in, but lippert defaults to underslung axles. Camber is incorrect for axles mounted under leaf's. Need to get two spring perches and weld to opposite sides, and flip.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaand, before anyone clutches their pearls and worries about trailering with mismatched axles, I held off ordering the second one for the exact reason I had the spring perch problem.

See how it goes before I get second one. In for $608, so far. That's with 3 new rim's, and attaching hardware. Rubber has not been bought yet.

Attachments

• 20190808_135546.jpg
    20190808_135546.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 20190808_143221.jpg
    20190808_143221.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 56
  • 20190808_143935.jpg
    20190808_143935.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 52

WillyBill

Received 1st axle.

New one in, but lippert defaults to underslung axles. Camber is incorrect for axles mounted under leaf's. Need to get two spring perches and weld to opposite sides, and flip.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing I would suggest is to use axle as is but bend it to fit your new install. They will need to be aligned anyway and you could get both bent at that time for far less that the welding solution and you will KNOW that they are correct and do not have to go through the hassle to get the clocking perfect. You'll be lucky if the two are even manufactured with the same castor/camber and they will likely be from different batches which increases the odds of a variance in settings. Please don't try to guess how I know this LOL.

WB

danemayer

So the axles had been flipped sometime in the past? If yes, have you considered the possibility that might have had something to do with the problem?

Received 1st axle.

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing I would suggest is to use axle as is but bend it to fit your new install. They will need to be aligned anyway and you could get both bent at that time for far less that the welding solution and you will KNOW that they are correct and do not have to go through the hassle to get the clocking perfect. You'll be lucky if the two are even manufactured with the same castor/camber and they will likely be from different batches which increases the odds of a variance in settings. Please don't try to guess how I know this LOL.

WB

Seems to be a bit excessive to bend a brand new axle completely opposite, just to correct the fact that the spring perches are welded to the wrong side for my application.

That, and most posters here are dead set on getting my rig into an axle shop.

Anyone here ever do things themselves? Or is it all farmed out?

So the axles had been flipped sometime in the past? If yes, have you considered the possibility that might have had something to do with the problem?

This is a completely custom installation, and not done yet, so bugs are being worked out as it goes.

Remember: the original 3500# axles, of one bent from some unknown event, are going away. I have custom ordered and test fit one of two 6000# axles. The old ones were dexter, the new ones are lippert. (Just like the frame )

In the process I'm gaining bigger axles, bigger brakes, and 8 ply tires. I'm sacrificing 1/2" clearance between the camper and the tire, and gaining 1/2" height. This is because these are 6 lug trims, and I can't get a shorter tire.

I don't expect this to be a show stopping problem, but there are ways around it if it is.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That, and most posters here are dead set on getting my rig into an axle shop.

Anyone here ever do things themselves? Or is it all farmed out?

Not all of us are backyard mechanics...

And, most of us already know not to trust any RV dealership for any kind of service work.

Which is why we go to the right shop when we need things done when it is out of our own realm of expertise.

WillyBill;62541 That said:
I’ve done a few axle swaps in my time, not on my RV but carhaulers and stock trailers. It’s not rocket science and quite reasonable to do it in your own driveway and save yourself some cash, and get it done on your schedule. Although Im sure you have double checked your spring perch measurements and axle lengths, things don’t always go as planned. That’s why having a good 220v. AC/DC welder, ( and being proficient with it) and also even a small oxy/act torch and a grinder are must haves. I have had to reposition spring hangers on the frame a few times.

Maybe I missed it but are you swapping springs too? Even though your axle is rated for 6k, the springs also play a role in that weight rating. I would have got the axle’s and springs in a complete assembly then your spring perch should be in the correct position without having to move them. Not sure how your trailer came with axle’s under or over the springs but might be worth looking into. I guess the main thing is that you have proper clearance in the wheel wells and frame when all done. Anyway just a few of the issues Ive ran into doing axle swaps and good luck as I’m sure you will be happy when done compared to running the 3500lb. axles at or near the max rating.

As far as axle alignment goes, I have done some home brew methods but it gets pretty involved and I would prefer to take that to an axle alignment shop. your tires will probably thank you.

That's a nope on the springs getting replaced. At least for now.

I inspected them for broken leaf's, and/or losing arch. This trailer wasn't overgrossed, unless clothes, food, and dishes did it. (For two adults and one 11 y/o).

When I contemplated just a straight replacement, I just started to doubt the Mfg's engineering on this trailer as a whole, given my plumbing issues that cropped up over the last year. Also my general impression of the quality of the build.

I find it lacking, to say the least.

So when I run into something like this, if I'm going to do it, then it'll be overkill. My aim is not to go heavier, it's to not have a axle bend again.

It'll also be cool if anyone ever noticed that this rig has 6 lug wheels too.

And for those who think this camper was overgrossed, here's the two tires off the same axle. Left rear tire is worn, tight rear is not.

I find it hard to believe I ran over something that caused this without knowing it.

Attachments

• 20190808_153100.jpg
    20190808_153100.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 63
Welded spring perches on and painted.

- - - Updated - - -

Bolted in, connected wires for brakes, torqued u bolts, and it's back on 4 wheels.

Ordering 2nd axle tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20190813_141348.jpg
    20190813_141348.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 49
  • 20190813_155400.jpg
    20190813_155400.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 43
2nd axle in. Took 1 hr, 15 min total this time. 1st one was about 4 hours with the welding.

Job done. Now I get to figure out why the electric pump leaks.

Attachments

• 20190901_154736.jpg
    20190901_154736.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 39
Trailer has 2 short trips (1hr to two local campgrounds) on the new axles. Here's what I found:
1. Trailer rear no longer scrapes driveway when leaving or entering.
2. Trailer stability at campsite improved.
3. Bigger brakes. Less gain needed on controller

Of course, I should have expected #1. Even at less than gaining <1 inch of height, due to the taller tires. But a welcome change anyway.
#2 was a surprise. Stiffer tires at a higher inflation made the camper less bouncy when people walked in it.
#3. A plus no matter how you look at it.