Monitor Panel

TerribleTim68

Hey gang,
So I have several questions regarding the monitor panel on my '08 4012. Keep in mind we purchased this unit used and have very little experience with it and got zero demo of anything on it, so everything is trial by error for us here.
The panel looks like this (except mine is black) -
Capture.JPG
The manual states -
"This monitor panel will give you information including:
• How much potable (fresh) water remains.
• How full your black (sewage) tank is.
• How full your gray (waste water) tank is."

This makes very little sense because the indicators on the panel do not match what is stated. The panel shows a "Holding" tank, what is that? Also, the panel shows "Grey 1" and "Grey 2", what are those? Nowhere on it does it state "Sewage" or "Waste Water". How do I know which one is which?

Also, my panel seems to never change. The Fresh tank shows empty, because we drained it. The Holding tank shows full, all the time, no matter what. And both Grey tanks show 1/3, all the time, no matter what.
This past 4th of July weekend we had the unit out for 4 days and on the last day the kitchen sink stopped draining. I'm assuming the tank was full and it simply backed up. I have not checked now that we drained it, but I do know it took an amazingly long time to drain it at the rest area dump station. Maybe you guys can share some experience with me and help me understand what is going on here?

danemayer

Hi Tim,

The "Holding" tank is the black tank.

Grey 1 and Grey 2 are the tanks that collect water from the shower and bathroom sink drains, and from the kitchen drain. Often Grey 1 is the bathroom and Grey 2 is the kitchen. But there are a lot of floor plans, so there can be other schemes. Some toy haulers have 1/2 bath in the garage. There could be a separate sewer outlet for that area.

The test panel sensors are generally useless, except maybe for the fresh tank. Food particles, soapy water, waste can cover the sensors, causing them to read full all the time.

Many people either dump tanks on a schedule, or wait for the toilet to "burp" when flushed. That signals the tank is full.

TerribleTim68

Thanks Dane,
I figured that the sensor in the sewage tank is useless. Having had a previous smaller toy hauler we learned that toilet paper renders them useless in a matter of time. Our old one said it was full all the time too. But the grey tanks had me baffled.

So here's another question for this discussion. My father-in-law said that he cleans his tanks out once a year and he has no problems with his sensors. How does one go about cleaning these tanks? Is there some tool that goes back up in the drain outlet to hose them out somehow?

NP_Chief

Through the process of elimination, I would say that the holding gauge is for your black tank (wastewater). One grey tank will be for the shower and sink in bathroom, and the other for kitchen. Unfortunately, these panels are not very reliable. Sensors go out, panels go out, and toilet paper gets stuck on sensors. You could troubleshoot the problem or just dump on a schedule.

danemayer

So here's another question for this discussion. My father-in-law said that he cleans his tanks out once a year and he has no problems with his sensors. How does one go about cleaning these tanks? Is there some tool that goes back up in the drain outlet to hose them out somehow?
Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Guide. Page 20-22 talk about cleaning the tanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Simple system is when the sound of the toilet flushing takes a deeper tone or it actually burps, dump all tanks starting with the black/holding tank. Once the flow stops, turn on the tank flusher and let it run until the draining water looks clear. If flow stops, let it run. You may get a slow swimming sewer trout to finally come out. Once you’re satisfied with that, shut the flusher and tank valve. Then dump the galley/kitchen tank and follow with the lavatory/shower tank last.

From experience, when the tone changes and it starts to burp, don’t wait until the next morning to dump it. Doing so may require you to handle it at zero-dark thirty, in the rain, surrounded by thirsty mosquitoes. You’ll only make that mistake once. DAMHIKT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I dump the black tank a little differently. I hook up the rinse and turn it on then open the valve and when almost stops running (clear 45 deg angle on dump). I close the valve and put in via the rinse 30-35 gal of water and dump again. On the second dump I leave the rinse on and wait for it to clear.

I use an old pressure regulator and a meter to measure gallons on the grey hose that is for that purpose only. 30 gal typically takes 10-12 min to fill. Then dump the grey tanks starting with the sink first. Flush the sewer hose with the rinse hose and go.

jerryjay11

I have used this method for the last two TT and it seems to work well. Helps to deodorize it as well.

Dissolve two (2) cups of the water softener in a
gallon of hot water. Then, pour the solution down the
drain into the empty tank. Use two cups of softener
for each wastewater tank in your RV. The tank's
drain valve should be closed otherwise the softened
water will just drain out. Then use the tank(s)
normally until it is full and drain it normally. Add a
cup of laundry detergent to the black (commode)
water tank at the same time you add water softener.
This will help clean the tank. The gray water tanks
should already contain soap through normal use.

JohnDar

Tank Flusher? :confused:

In your UDC, there should be what looks like a female hose fitting (not city water) labelled tank flush or tank rinse. If you connect a water hose to it, it will send water to a spray head inside the black tank. These comments are based on my older rig, newer ones may be set up differently.

JohnDar

I dump the black tank a little differently. I hook up the rinse and turn it on then open the valve and when almost stops running (clear 45 deg angle on dump). I close the valve and put in via the rinse 30-35 gal of water and dump again. On the second dump I leave the rinse on and wait for it to clear.

I use an old pressure regulator and a meter to measure gallons on the grey hose that is for that purpose only. 30 gal typically takes 10-12 min to fill. Then dump the grey tanks starting with the sink first. Flush the sewer hose with the rinse hose and go.

My bad, I also turn on the flush when the tank flows slows down and let it run for several minutes. I have a flow meter on the line to the tank flush inlet.

TerribleTim68

In your UDC, there should be what looks like a female hose fitting (not city water) labelled tank flush or tank rinse. If you connect a water hose to it, it will send water to a spray head inside the black tank. These comments are based on my older rig, newer ones may be set up differently.

Interesting. I assume you do that at a camp site that has a hookup? The rest area dump stations never have a hose with a connection, and the one we stopped at this past weekend didn't even have a hose that worked. :(

JohnDar

Yep, we stay at a seasonal site with full hookups. When we used to stay at state parks, I carried a hose and a water thief, just in case. Michigan rest areas don’t have RV dump stations.