Which truck?

orion7144

I am getting 8.5 to 9.5 depending on speed. I weigh in at just over 26K lbs. I can change my fuel filter and replace the water separator in under 15 minuets.

What is the real diff in MPG's? A couple or several? The 450 will yank a higher payload and trailer than any 350 series. Have read that the 450 has a tighter turn radius. How easy is it to get to fuel filters if you do your own changing of them? I have owned Ford SD since '03 and have been happy w/ them. Always have a special place for GMC probly cuz that's the 1st truck I owned ('72 4x4, 4spd, 350 w/ 4 barrel, manual steering), then bought a '86 6.2L diesel and later a '91 after a '88 Ford w/7.3 N/A. So while I like the Ford line, I will say, the new Rams are sharp looking. IMO, best grill yet in Ram line up. So OP, your best bet is to sit in each, take 'em for a spin and see what you like/dislike about each. We can ALL give you our take and point/counterpoint each other as to why we think our brand is the best (honestly, they are all good), but only you can answer that.

avvidclif

When you get to the point (moneywise) of needing a dually to pull your RV a few MPG one way or another shouldn't matter. Kinda like the guy on another group wanting mileage figures for the half million dollar pusher he was going to buy. FWIW we have been on the road for 1 week today on a trip. We have covered 1047.3 mi and avg 9.9 MPG. The Chebby has a running avg for the last 50 mi on one display. I have seen it as high as 10.9 and as low as 9.0. I will admit to doing some shopping around for diesel though. The low was $2.37 and the high $2.78 (Tx-Fl). Truck stops have been $2.90-3.05 and we typically get 50 gal/stop so a little looking can save.

GK2018

That is my truck and it is a front bath that has a pin weight just over 4000lbs with the washer and dryer installed. That is why it squats like that. The CCC on the sticker is ~4700lbs and the same configured F350 is around 5400lbs. The picture actually looks worse than what it was. It just touched the overload springs and had ~2" of clearance to the bump stops. I did add air bags and it sits nice and level now. The tow package springs I believe are the same on both trucks. The F450 just has a beefier axcel, 25% larger brakes, and commercial tires. The biggest advantage is the wide track steering that has a 7.5' smaller turning radius.
That makes sense, that is quite a bit of pin weight. How well do you like your F450 so far? Any pros or cons you've found by having that one over a 1 ton?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GK2018

When you get to the point (moneywise) of needing a dually to pull your RV a few MPG one way or another shouldn't matter. Kinda like the guy on another group wanting mileage figures for the half million dollar pusher he was going to buy. FWIW we have been on the road for 1 week today on a trip. We have covered 1047.3 mi and avg 9.9 MPG. The Chebby has a running avg for the last 50 mi on one display. I have seen it as high as 10.9 and as low as 9.0. I will admit to doing some shopping around for diesel though. The low was $2.37 and the high $2.78 (Tx-Fl). Truck stops have been $2.90-3.05 and we typically get 50 gal/stop so a little looking can save.
Haha that's true if you're spending that kind of money MPG's are probably the last thing you should be worried about. We drive about 50K miles a year thats a combination of loaded and unloaded and when we're loaded we get an average of 12.5 MPG but unloaded we get 26 MPG. It is kind of nice to get good fuel mileage when unloaded. One thing about getting the same MPG loaded or unloaded is you always know how far you can go and exactly how much it'll cost. I had a 1995 F250 like that she got 12 MPG no matter what but my same year Chevy on the other hand was getting 16 MPG kind of odd how that was never could figure out why the MPG difference.

orion7144

That makes sense, that is quite a bit of pin weight. How well do you like your F450 so far? Any pros or cons you've found by having that one over a 1 ton?

I would not change a thing unless the 1 ton came with the wide track. It is such a game changer.

GK2018

I would not change a thing unless the 1 ton came with the wide track. It is such a game changer.
That's good to know, I plan on test driving each and seeing which one I like better. The dealerships up here will let me pull my camper behind them when I test drive which is a big plus, it wont be our future 5th wheel I'm pulling but I can at least see how it'll pull our current camper. I've heard some good things about the F450 but never driving or owning one I figured it'd be good to get some opinions.

4dollars

We just upgraded from a 2018 F350 SRW to a new 2019 Platinum F450 and love it. I say buy what you like, your going to have it for awhile.

GK2018

We just upgraded from a 2018 F350 SRW to a new 2019 Platinum F450 and love it. I say buy what you like, your going to have it for awhile.
What made yall upgrade from the F350 to a bigger truck if I can ask?

4dollars

What made yall upgrade from the F350 to a bigger truck if I can ask?

We've been looking at new trucks for a couple of years and researching the differences between the F350 DRW and the F450. I liked the wide beam front end on the F450 for the sharper turning radius and the price differance wasnt that much. The other part of the story is our 2008 F350 SRW with 109,000 mile on it while on vacation had to have the oil cooler replaced and it would not be fixed before we had to head 800 mile back home. The dealer found us a F350 DRW we wanted but the dealer that had it would not do a dealer trade. The dealer had a black F450 available for about the same price and the wife fell in love with the truck. So now we have another Black Truck and have named it " No Choice" since we had no choice but to get a new truck to get the trailer home. Love the ride and how stable the DRW make the ride feel.

LBR

This is touted to be the 2020 F-450...not too shabby of a looker IMO....
75d961edfdc6005b96a97a29c76b3a34.jpg

Bones

I just upgraded from a Ram 3500 to a F-450. So far I love it. I've only had it a week so far trying to get a few miles on it. I'll know how much better I like it in about 5 days when I pull the rig for about 3 hours.

Sniper

I just upgraded from a Ram 3500 to a F-450. So far I love it. I've only had it a week so far trying to get a few miles on it. I'll know how much better I like it in about 5 days when I pull the rig for about 3 hours.
Congratulations Bones! (pictures or didn't happen). ;)

GK2018

We've been looking at new trucks for a couple of years and researching the differences between the F350 DRW and the F450. I liked the wide beam front end on the F450 for the sharper turning radius and the price differance wasnt that much. The other part of the story is our 2008 F350 SRW with 109,000 mile on it while on vacation had to have the oil cooler replaced and it would not be fixed before we had to head 800 mile back home. The dealer found us a F350 DRW we wanted but the dealer that had it would not do a dealer trade. The dealer had a black F450 available for about the same price and the wife fell in love with the truck. So now we have another Black Truck and have named it " No Choice" since we had no choice but to get a new truck to get the trailer home. Love the ride and how stable the DRW make the ride feel.
Haha I like the nickname no choice, I've been in close to the same situation when I had a transmission go out. The poor thing looked like skittles when I dropped the transmission pan. I'm definitely interested in looking at one of the F450's when I get some time to head to a dealer especially seeing how it seems quite a few are towing with them.

GK2018

That's a pretty truck, I've always liked the looks of Fords. I never thought I'd switch from owning Fords to Dodge until my first Dodge and now it seems like such a hard decision but honestly all of the big three are really nice trucks to include the Chevys I rag on .