Which truck?

GK2018

So which truck is a better route to go a Ford F450 diesel crew cab long box 4x4 dually or a Ram 3500 diesel crew cab long box 4x4 dually? The Ram gets better fuel mileage and isnt as nice a trim package compared to the same priced F450 and is a smaller truck, the F450 is a bigger truck, worse fuel mileage and the trim package is much nicer. What are yalls thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GK2018

I read that one a little while back it was a pretty good read but I'm not too big on Chevys I've had a few and I always had to work on them :-/ but an upside is the parts for them are everywhere! I made a hard decision when I bought my used Ram 2500 with 30k miles on it because I could've had the same truck brand new in a Chevy for the same price haha. I seem to notice the F450 is a much bigger truck and has a nicer trim level for the same price as a lesser Ram 3500.

CDN

B and B
Up here in Ontario Canada the law was changed that as long as the truck is used for pleasure no extra licence or CVOR is needed to drive a class 4 truck. I would seriously look at a F 450 over other 3500 options. Ford Trim beats Ram hands down.

I have seen too many max trucks with major issues, that silly tailgate on the new ones is an accident waiting to happen.

The Cummins Ram 2500 is pretty popular with contractors for towing trade trailers and landscape companies that use to plow snow. They are really noisy though.

Service wise need to like the dealer and trust them. Around here almost half the Chevy dealers closed up and 2 Dodge dealers just are not trustworthy with the back shop. I have the choice of 3 Ford dealers and all them have good Diesel Mechanics.

Best of luck and post pictures!

Lynn1130

This is a "where you sit is where you stand" question. Some people have Dodges and do nothing but work on them. Others go years and have no problems. Same with Chevy and Ford. Much like which tires, or which oil to use this is very subjective. Spend the small amount of money, get a subscription to Consumer Reports and look at their annual vehicle reports. And there are volumes of threads on this topic.

LBR

If you want a little LDT, then get that 3 series Ram pickup. If you want an MDT, get the 4 series Ford truck.

jnbhobe

Remember the Ford has 4.30 gears and the Dodge is either 3.73 or 4.10, that explains the MPG difference.

MTPockets

I’m a Ford man; however, get the one you like the best.... When it comes to vehicles, I could care less what others think.

GK2018

Haha I'm thinking the Ram 3500 just cause the better MPG and I think the F450 might be more truck than I'll ever come close to using. I've had quite a few 3/4 and 1 ton Ford, Chevy and Dodges but I dont have any experience with a 450 in any vehicle make. I always really liked my Fords and Dodges. The perfect truck would be Ford body with cummins engine and either the Aisin or Allison transmission. I heard of some guy doing that in a 4x4 magazine I read one time. I just cant help but wonder how much better a 450 is than say a 3500 and why the price is cheaper for a better trim package and a bigger truck that's kind of where my dilemma starts it seems you'd just be losing the fuel mileage but gain all the nicety of having a bigger truck.

GK2018

Dodge all the way. Great trim levels and price point. I got the SRW 3500 with factory air level. Worked great. There was a post on here not long ago about someone unhappy with their new F450 squatting under a Landmark.
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/75432-New-Bighorn-with-new-truck
Wow that really is a lot of squat, I've definitely loaded down an F350 and haven't seen that much squat before. I wonder why because as I understand it, it should have stiffer suspension and better tow package than a F350 would.

avvidclif

I have owned my last Ford. Too many problems, little sh%$ nickel and dime. Cummins makes a good engine but noisy as ****. Every Dodge PU I was acquainted with fell apart, don't know about the Ram. Currently have a Chev. Not really a nickels worth of difference so let your butt decide.

MTPockets

For what it’s worth; I have a friend who owns a second generation business that has at any given time 20 to 25 trucks SRW & DRW. They have tracked maintenance costs for 49 years owning all the big three brands. Total fleet maintenance costs for Ford trucks are always the lowest, while Dodge/Ram ran the highest. Some years they would run Rams due to lower acquisition cost, but today they run mostly Ford, with occasional Chevy purchases when there are special deals. Just one business data observations.

GK2018

For what it’s worth; I have a friend who owns a second generation business that has at any given time 20 to 25 trucks SRW & DRW. They have tracked maintenance costs for 49 years owning all the big three brands. Total fleet maintenance costs for Ford trucks are always the lowest, while Dodge/Ram ran the highest. Some years they would run Rams due to lower acquisition cost, but today they run mostly Ford, with occasional Chevy purchases when there are special deals. Just one business data observations.
I dont doubt that one at all, after owning several of the big 3 if you're buying new parts the Ram with those Mopar parts are always expensive with Ford and Chevy being the cheapest. If you're getting used parts from a salvage I'd have to say hands down Chevy is where you'll find all the cheap parts but they're probably all in the scrap yard cause Chevrolet stands for C-racked H-eads E-very V-alve R-attles O-il L-eaks E-ngine T-icks haha!

Those Rams are pretty loud compared to the Fords but the decibels through the years have reduced quite a bit in all of them. My 1991 F250 diesel now that thing sounds like freight train going down the road!

Brenmar

In 2016 I bought a used 2014 Ram 3500 dually with 90,000 miles, love it! I was always a Ford man before, but found this Ram in the price range I wanted. I love the way it handles my rig and the mpg I get both pulling and just as a driver. You should choose what fits your mission and budget.

orion7144

That is my truck and it is a front bath that has a pin weight just over 4000lbs with the washer and dryer installed. That is why it squats like that. The CCC on the sticker is ~4700lbs and the same configured F350 is around 5400lbs. The picture actually looks worse than what it was. It just touched the overload springs and had ~2" of clearance to the bump stops. I did add air bags and it sits nice and level now. The tow package springs I believe are the same on both trucks. The F450 just has a beefier axcel, 25% larger brakes, and commercial tires. The biggest advantage is the wide track steering that has a 7.5' smaller turning radius.

Wow that really is a lot of squat, I've definitely loaded down an F350 and haven't seen that much squat before. I wonder why because as I understand it, it should have stiffer suspension and better tow package than a F350 would.

NYSUPstater

What is the real diff in MPG's? A couple or several? The 450 will yank a higher payload and trailer than any 350 series. Have read that the 450 has a tighter turn radius. How easy is it to get to fuel filters if you do your own changing of them? I have owned Ford SD since '03 and have been happy w/ them. Always have a special place for GMC probly cuz that's the 1st truck I owned ('72 4x4, 4spd, 350 w/ 4 barrel, manual steering), then bought a '86 6.2L diesel and later a '91 after a '88 Ford w/7.3 N/A. So while I like the Ford line, I will say, the new Rams are sharp looking. IMO, best grill yet in Ram line up. So OP, your best bet is to sit in each, take 'em for a spin and see what you like/dislike about each. We can ALL give you our take and point/counterpoint each other as to why we think our brand is the best (honestly, they are all good), but only you can answer that.