Residential Fridge "No Lock"

ChaSue

Hi, purchased our Cyclone 3600 June 4 2019. Along with other problems our Hisense refrigerator doesn't stay closed while traveling. First time out we arrive at our destination to find food all over the floor. :(:mad::confused: Really No Lock???

danemayer

Hi ChaSue,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Residential refrigerators used in RVs are actually made for residences where a door lock would not be needed.

Other owners have taken various approaches to keep the doors closed. I expect some will chime in with their solutions.

I think Heartland has been applying a plastic fastener to the front of the doors so you can keep them closed during travel. If yours doesn't have that and none of the ideas from other owners appeals to you, you might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Alan_B

Whatever method you come up to lock the door, it only works if you remember to use it. (Don’t ask me how I know 🙂 ). We added that as an item to our checklist.

MCTalley

We have a side-by-side (Frigidaire) and wrap a velcro strap around both handles while traveling. Ours came with the factory-supplied stretchy plastic thing but one of the catches came off during our PDI. We just had the tech bring us a velcro strap and haven't looked back.

BLR

I use the velcro around the fridge handles and then I took the strap provided for one of our tables, which we will never use, and put it around fridge handle down to freezer, 2 &1/2 years and not one problem
f135ad6b0b7c4065874674b80b56a979.jpg

Sent from BLR Logistics

We use velcro on ours, or a bungi cord.
Some of these roads, it's a wonder the fifth wheel stays in one piece.

NP_Chief

I use the velcro around the fridge handles and then I took the strap provided for one of our tables, which we will never use, and put it around fridge handle down to freezer, 2 &1/2 years and not one problem
f135ad6b0b7c4065874674b80b56a979.jpg

Sent from BLR Logistics

I think I like the dish towel better than your fridge idea. But the fridge lock works too.

Matt750

We have a Hisense in our CY4007. I tried Velcro on the double doors. The freezer had a “rubber strap” that was used to attach the freezer drawer to one of the refrigerator doors (installed by Heartland I assume). That little rubber strap did no good & actually came loose allowing the freezer drawer to bang up some wood trim. Got rid of that stupid strap and installed what is called the “Fridge Fixer”. It is working excellent for us. Here is the link. https://www.recubed.solutions/

david-steph2018

We have a Hisense in our CY4007. I tried Velcro on the double doors. The freezer had a “rubber strap” that was used to attach the freezer drawer to one of the refrigerator doors (installed by Heartland I assume). That little rubber strap did no good & actually came loose allowing the freezer drawer to bang up some wood trim. Got rid of that stupid strap and installed what is called the “Fridge Fixer”. It is working excellent for us. Here is the link. https://www.recubed.solutions/

You guys are the only people I have heard of using this device so far. I looked into it back in April but been waiting to hear of somebody who actually uses this item. So what are your thoughts on it. Right now we just use Velcro straps. Which one did you buy for your fridge, we have a Hisense also in the Road Warrior.

Tree14

We have a 4200 Cyclone and there was nothing said or supplied to keep our doors closed. On our first trip with a full refrigerator.. Not pretty! I see many manufacturers supply a door locking mechanism.. Using a pool noodle works but for purchasing a $85,000+ rig NOT right! Shame on Heartland or others who do the same.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Matt750

You guys are the only people I have heard of using this device so far. I looked into it back in April but been waiting to hear of somebody who actually uses this item. So what are your thoughts on it. Right now we just use Velcro straps. Which one did you buy for your fridge, we have a Hisense also in the Road Warrior.

We really like it. So far we've only taken one trip with it installed (installed in May). Next week will be another trip, and I am fully confident it will hold the doors. Time will tell if this device holds up, but I like it a lot better than what was put on the fridge to begin with! The main part is printed with a 3D printer. I do wish it was some sort of molded piece, but that's just me. I don't remember which one I ordered. I think it was the 3.5-4.25. Very easy instructions on how to order the right one. Another plus is that it is magnetic, and it does stick to the Hisense door when you are parked and using the fridge.

Bri4Sis

Hi, purchased our Cyclone 3600 June 4 2019. Along with other problems our Hisense refrigerator doesn't stay closed while traveling. First time out we arrive at our destination to find food all over the floor. :(:mad::confused: Really No Lock???
Ours came with a velcro strap that we'd wrap around the handles. And has a plastic like clip that goes from refrigerator door to freezer door. We also wrap a plastic spatula with a kitchen towel and slide it through the refrigerator handles. Never had a problem

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

southernlady5464

Ours came with the “strap” that Heartland installs. Ours is a side by side residential. First trip to Indiana, heading to the 2017 Goshen rally, we came up I69. The strap popped off and the fridge side opened up. Even with braces added, stuff hit the floor. Thankfully nothing broke but a bottle cap or two hit just right to end up with hard cider on the floor. We added a child proof safety lock from Home Depot or Lowe’s (can’t remember which). Comes in a two pack. Still using the first one. Second one is stored away as backup.