Ram Brake controller

sengli

I have a 2014 RAM 3500. I have a landmark now with 8K dexter axles. The issue is with my former big horn that had 6K axles.... the brakes were lack luster when set at 7 out of 10. Now with the landmark I have the IBC set at 10 and the braking is barely noticeable. I have read some past threads on this same subject here, and yes disc brakes are the ultimate answer.
Measured the DC out on the extra 7 pin connector, with the trailer hooked up with the IBC set at max...and it reads 7.5Vdc.

Was thinking of by passing the RAM controller and installing a prodigy P3 aftermarket brake controller. Checked with RAM for any software updates, there arent any at this time.

danemayer

Your RAM has several settings for the IBC. I don't know that the max voltage differs, but you might try another setting.

sengli

I have it set to heavy electrical. I know the other settings are light electrical and the other two are for electric over hydraulic. The current setting is the only one that would be applicable for a 14000 trailer hook up.

SNOKING

I have it set to heavy electrical. I know the other settings are light electrical and the other two are for electric over hydraulic. The current setting is the only one that would be applicable for a 14000 trailer hook up.

Try EOH Heavy 6-8. That is what I used on our 2015 RAM and BH3575el for better braking. There are also a couple reflashes for the controller.

SNOKING

Are the brake adjusted correctly and have they been checked to make sure they do not have bearing grease on them? I believe that if was the 2015 and later RAM that had new programming that messed up the controller. Chri

sengli

There are a several NTSA complaints where the voltage on these IBC are not anywhere near the 10-12volts out. As measured with the manual control maxed out, and the unit set at 10...the applied voltage was only 7.5. This is what the other complaints were noted as on the NTSA site as well. I have checked a couple of other RV's I had at my disposal, and the brake wiring ohms out exactly the same. The brakes work, they just dont have any real stopping power.
FCA claims they are going to look into this on the new 2019 HD's that recently came out.

Hubs are coming off this week for internal exams of the brakes. This unit was a new leftover, that has sat for a couple of years unused. As I remember the brakes on my other fivers were a lot better with the GM 3500HD I had as tow vehicle initially, and its IBC system. Pulling the emergency stop cord, locks them up tight!

SNOKING

There are a several NTSA complaints where the voltage on these IBC are not anywhere near the 10-12volts out. As measured with the manual control maxed out, and the unit set at 10...the applied voltage was only 7.5. This is what the other complaints were noted as on the NTSA site as well. I have checked a couple of other RV's I had at my disposal, and the brake wiring ohms out exactly the same. The brakes work, they just dont have any real stopping power.
FCA claims they are going to look into this on the new 2019 HD's that recently came out.

Hubs are coming off this week for internal exams of the brakes. This unit was a new leftover, that has sat for a couple of years unused. As I remember the brakes on my other fivers were a lot better with the GM 3500HD I had as tow vehicle initially, and its IBC system. Pulling the emergency stop cord, locks them up tight!

If the trailer has been sitting unused then it may take a few hundred miles for the brakes to eat thru the rust on the drums. Chris

Gaffer

I had mine set the same way on my 2018 Ram 3500. At 10 the amount of braking was less than desired.

danemayer

Check for a good ground connection between trailer and truck. I recall a problem someone was having a few years ago where the poor ground didn't allow full electrical flow.

Matt750

We have a 2014 Ram and the brake controller works excellent with our current rig (CY4007). I have the brake controller set to "heavy electric" and typically set it to 6-8. Stops just fine and you can feel it. On our last rig (Torque 321) I had a problem one time. I could not feel the brakes grabbing at all, even on the highest setting of 10 on heavy electric. A message came up and, if I remember, it said "check trailer wiring" or something along those lines. I thought it might have been the truck brake controller. I jacked up the trailer and applied the brakes and they were not grabbing. Adjusted the brakes, message on truck went out, and I had brakes. Hopefully SNOKING is right and you just need to "burn-in" the brakes shoes to get rid of potential rust.

Bones

My former Ram's braking sucked and I was maxed out. Sometimes it worked most of the time it didn't

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We have a 2014 Ram and the brake controller works excellent with our current rig (CY4007). I have the brake controller set to "heavy electric" and typically set it to 6-8. Stops just fine and you can feel it. On our last rig (Torque 321) I had a problem one time. I could not feel the brakes grabbing at all, even on the highest setting of 10 on heavy electric. A message came up and, if I remember, it said "check trailer wiring" or something along those lines. I thought it might have been the truck brake controller. I jacked up the trailer and applied the brakes and they were not grabbing. Adjusted the brakes, message on truck went out, and I had brakes. Hopefully SNOKING is right and you just need to "burn-in" the brakes shoes to get rid of potential rust.

I agree. Our 2016 factory brake controller works great. Heavy electric setting. 6.5 on the gain. And you can fill the trailer grab when you apply the brakes.

danemayer

I'd suggest you focus on why the voltage to the brakes doesn't get to 12V. To get a definitive voltage reading, check voltage at the brake assembly wiring. Pierce the insulation on the wires. If you're still reading 7.5V DC, move your meter's common lead to a known good ground, like a good contact on the trailer frame. If still 7.5V, you have low voltage from the truck.

If it goes to 12V bypassing the brake ground wire, you have a poor ground connection - possibly at the 7 pin connector. But since you have a low reading at the aux 7 pin connector on the truck, it may be a problem with the truck wiring.

If the brake magnet never sees 12V, you will never get good braking.

Btw, the Dexter manual advises that the controller should apply 2V when the brake pedal is slightly depressed, and then as you push the pedal further, it should gradually ramp up to 12V. If it goes to 12V too quickly, you'll get harsh braking and at lower speeds could lock the wheels leading to tire issues.

sengli

Understood. My question is that several other Ram truck owners complained this IBC pulses the DC, the actual reading is an average? They also recorded the same 7.5 I did when fully applied in the 10 setting. Wonder what yours measures?
Took the hubs off today, the brakes look like new. Was actually hoping to find the shoes locked up somehow, but they all worked great. Going to repack the bearings, new seals and re-assemble. Wow these 8K axles are huge, and so are the brakes.

SNOKING

Understood. My question is that several other Ram truck owners complained this IBC pulses the DC, the actual reading is an average? They also recorded the same 7.5 I did when fully applied in the 10 setting. Wonder what yours measures?
Took the hubs off today, the brakes look like new. Was actually hoping to find the shoes locked up somehow, but they all worked great. Going to repack the bearings, new seals and re-assemble. Wow these 8K axles are huge, and so are the brakes.

Brakes might be large, however the wires inside the axles tubes sometimes are unbelievably small. Chris

sengli

Well its not disc brakes, after installing a tekonsha P3 brake controller in the RAM, the voltage is there now, at the rear of the truck needed to actually recognize brakes being applied on the land mark. Used a gender changer type interface wiring harness they sell with the brake controller, plugged into the existing under dash wiring. Man this rig is heavy.