Thread: Ceiling lights in our 2018 Pioneer RG28

1. Print this Post   #1

Ceiling lights in our 2018 Pioneer RG28

My wife and I are new to the forum. We have a 2018 Pioneer RG28. Four of our ceiling lights have gone bad. Flashing like disco lights. They aren't the kind you can replace a bulb and they are fixed. The incoming wires are soldered in place. I've been to several RV service/parts stores without success. Is there a replacement light for these and is it a job I can handle.

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Ceiling lights in our 2018 Pioneer RG28

Hi WShew,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. The parts department can probably get you new lights.

Before talking with the part dep't, you might also discuss with Customer Service the fact that 4 lights have the same odd failure. It suggests that there may be a bad batch of these lights and perhaps they will send you lights at no charge, as a goodwill gesture, even if out of warranty.

It's possible the wires from the fixture have butt splices that are crimped. You'd have to cut the wire (based on length, decide which side of the crimp to cut), and put in new butt splices. The splices and crimping tool should be available as a relatively inexpensive kit from most big box hardware stores. Nowadays I use Wago Lever Connectors to join wires. They require no tools and you can undo your work by lifting the lever. With LED lights, sometimes polarity matters, so whatever you use, you'll want to test the light before finalizing your work.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

Quote Originally Posted by danemayer View Post
    Hi WShew,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. The parts department can probably get you new lights.

Before talking with the part dep't, you might also discuss with Customer Service the fact that 4 lights have the same odd failure. It suggests that there may be a bad batch of these lights and perhaps they will send you lights at no charge, as a goodwill gesture, even if out of warranty.

It's possible the wires from the fixture have butt splices that are crimped. You'd have to cut the wire (based on length, decide which side of the crimp to cut), and put in new butt splices. The splices and crimping tool should be available as a relatively inexpensive kit from most big box hardware stores. Nowadays I use Wago Lever Connectors to join wires. They require no tools and you can undo your work by lifting the lever. With LED lights, sometimes polarity matters, so whatever you use, you'll want to test the light before finalizing your work.
    Thank you for your suggestions. We'll start calling tomorrow!

4. Print this Post   #4

You probably have the same light fixtures as we do and I have had to replace 3 so far. I ended up purchasing my own since my warranty was out and I did find the exact replacement on ebay (super cheap) by searching the part number that can be found when you remove the lens. Four screws and cut the wires to splice in another. When reinstalling the screws I used plastic inserts because the ceiling material doesn't hold up well when attempting to tighten the screws.
    Jerry and Editha J.
    2015 Chevy Silverado, 6.0
    Four Dogs, King, Max, Maggie, and Layla
    RL250 Pioneer