Awning adjustment

Redrider007

My 2015 Bighorn has an electric awning and the arms gave black knobs. When are these tightened or should they be? I’m always paranoid with any winds and typically just close the awning.

danemayer

If you have the awning out when raining, you'll want to pull the arm down on one side and tighten the knob to hold it in position so rain runs off the awning. I always loosen mine before retracting.

CoveredWagon

If you don't have them loose when you retract the awning you may bend the frame. I saw it happen just last week. I suppose you could break something else if they were tightened when you extend the awning.

SLO

If you have the awning out when raining, you'll want to pull the arm down on one side and tighten the knob to hold it in position so rain runs off the awning. I always loosen mine before retracting.

If you don’t lower and tighten one of the arms in the down position. The awning will automatically lower one arm and drain the water off and then raise itself again. But if I know it’s going to rain I do as Dan suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The awning will automatically lower one arm and drain the water off and then raise itself again.

That's correct - that is how it's supposed to work. In practice, the awning may fill with a load of water, and then suddenly one arm can no longer support the water and there's a waterfall.