Fireplace light turning on and off on its own.

clusoe

I have a 2016 Bighorn, 3970RL with a fireplace that seems to be alive. It will be off, and all of a sudden the "flame" light will come on all by itself, then, maybe 10 minutes later, shut off all by itself. It continues to do this constantly. Any ideas why? I can walk over to it, manually turn the unit on, and off again to kill the light, but it will start coming on and going off by itself again shortly thereafter, Weird!

CDN

B and B
Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

I know some TV remotes turn the infrared sensor on and off on the fireplace. To confirm you can locate and put a piece of black tape over the sensor on the front of the fireplace.

Just a thought

Brian

wdk450

By any chance does your fireplace have an infrared or RF remote control? Maybe some sort of interference signal is triggering it. If it is IR, and you can find the sensor "window", maybe you can cover it with opaque material.

A manufacturer and model number might get you more specific help here.

I found this on the Dimplex website: (http://www.electricfireplacescanada.ca/Dimplex-Product-Information-CA )

Why does my unit sometimes turn on/off by itself?
If your fireplace operates with a remote control it is possible that your unit is being controlled by another electrical device in your neighborhood that is operating on the same radio frequency as your remote control. To resolve this frequency interference problem please consult your User's Guide for instructions on how to reconfigure you remote control. Depending on the type of your remote you may need to replace it with one that operates at a different frequency. In such cases or for further assistance please contact Dimplex's Technical Service Department at 1-888-346-7539 Ext 2.

clusoe

Thanks Brian. My fireplace does not have a remote. It just thinks all on its own. :)

By any chance does your fireplace have an infrared or RF remote control? Maybe some sort of interference signal is triggering it. If it is IR, and you can find the sensor "window", maybe you can cover it with opaque material.

A manufacturer and model number might get you more specific help here.

I found this on the Dimplex website: (http://www.electricfireplacescanada.ca/Dimplex-Product-Information-CA )

Why does my unit sometimes turn on/off by itself?
If your fireplace operates with a remote control it is possible that your unit is being controlled by another electrical device in your neighborhood that is operating on the same radio frequency as your remote control. To resolve this frequency interference problem please consult your User's Guide for instructions on how to reconfigure you remote control. Depending on the type of your remote you may need to replace it with one that operates at a different frequency. In such cases or for further assistance please contact Dimplex's Technical Service Department at 1-888-346-7539 Ext 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lou_and_Bette

Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but, are you sure it's not remote controlled and you just don't have the remote. I was under the impression that all the FPs were remote controlled on the newer rigs...ours is a 15 and is, and out 11 RW was also. Just saying, sure would answer the question for bizarre operation.

wdk450

Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but, are you sure it's not remote controlled and you just don't have the remote. I was under the impression that all the FPs were remote controlled on the newer rigs...ours is a 15 and is, and out 11 RW was also. Just saying, sure would answer the question for bizarre operation.

It sounds like the OP DEFINITELY needs to find the make/model number, and check out a manual (maybe online?).